• Register Today It's free!

Factory Air Shocks

wa4kc

Reaction score
City, State
Memphis, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 EB 4x4
What are my options for replacement of my factory air shocks in the rear of my 99 EB? I want to use better shocks but I am afraid I will have to go back to the dealer to get new ones. Thanks in advance.
Phillip

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I found what I needed to know. I guess noone else here has this option on there truck.

What did you find out? I'm interested, although I dont have the air shocks.

i got that too

i have the stock air shocks too, i think it's an exellent system, i can raise it 3.5 inches, or i can slam it if i want, i can do this within 5 minutes. Most people with this system don't know how to do this (if you want to know i'll tell you) the ride is incredible compared any explorer i have driven. THE PROBLEM! i have to replace the front left shock $400 canadian.OUCH! all because i have a slow leak from the air line into the shock. stupid! but i cant complain all that much because it has been 7 years of fairly hard driving. if anyone could find me a used one at a decent price, you would be helping a fellow Explorer mud lover to find his home back in the dirt and filth where he was born to be. thanx to anyone listening!

Dustin:( :( :(

I never geard of this option on Explorers? How do you raise/lower it??

I think that maybe I only have the air shocks in the rear. I read in a couple of other posts about people having this in the front but I can't find any air lines there. I was told to just disconnect the lines in the rear and cap them with vacuum caps. I want to use the Eddlebrock shocks and they don't make use of the factory air lines. If I have this option in the front and you can tell me how to adjust it manualy that might be neat to know. Thanks
Phillip

air shock raise and lower

The suspension system is load leveling, all you have to do is trick into thinking it has a heavy load and it will raise its self. For the front, your sensor (looks like a little plastic shock) is on the drivers side, (turn your wheel to the right to see it) Make sure your air ride system is turned on (switch is at the back in the jack compartment). Unclip the bottom of the shock, and compress it with your hands, the front will lift right away. When you have it at the desired hight, run back to the switch and shut it off. do the same to the sensor at the back and presto! free lift. to slam it do the opposite, decompress the shock sensor. To keep it at the hight you want, you must have the system switch off. The minute you turn the switch on you will go back to regular riding hight. Oh! make sure you clip the sensor shock back, you may lose it if you don't. Any questions? have fun.

Dustin

Back