Factory Alarm goes off when using remote key FOB | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Factory Alarm goes off when using remote key FOB

Choppysmash

Reaction score
City, State
Denver, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer XLT
Hi all,

I have kind of a weird one here. I just went out and bought a remote for my 1998 Explorer XLT V8. I got it at AutoZone (It's made by Dorman) and I was able to program it to my truck by cycling the key 8 times and then hitting a button on the remote. That part went fine and the truck cycled its locks twice to confirm that the remote had been paired. But now if I try to use the remote to lock or unlock the truck it just sets the alarm off. It performs the desired function of locking or unlocking, its just accompanied by the horn. However I am able to then silence the alarm by pushing the panic button on the remote.

The buttons on the drivers door work normally to lock/unlock the car, and the alarm itself works normally because a few times I have locked it with the keypad and the weak door lock actuator on the drivers door doesn't lock the door so when I open it it thinks its supposed to be locked and it sets off the alarm. Putting the key in the ignition or the door lock cylinder shuts the alarm off as it should.

Do I have a faulty remote? I verified it is compatible with my year and model, and other methods of locking/unlocking work correctly.

So a little update. I programmed the key fob again and now it mainly only sets the alarm off if I hit lock. If I hit unlock now it mostly just unlocks the car like it should but sometimes still sets off the alarm. When I got this truck I found that the hood switch bracket was twisted out of the way. Perhaps a previous owner was having issues with it? If I just jump the two wires to the hood switch together will that bypass it? I'm more interested in having remote unlock/lock capability than I am with having an alarm.

You can jumper the hood switch bracket to permanently close the circuit and eliminate ir as a cause for your alarm.

it sounds it sounds like you have a bad remote, pop open the battery compartment and clean the contacts. Make sure there's anything inside that's touching the center button for the panic when you're hitting the lock button

Back