Factory backup / rearview camera is unavailable? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Factory backup / rearview camera is unavailable?

Durkmyster

Reaction score
City, State
Kingston, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 ford explorer xlt
So I've been trying to figure out my backup camera problem for a few days since I bought a used 2012 ford explorer xlt a few days ago. Some say it's bad ground wire, some have replaced the whole camera. I've checked wires and connector for corrosion and haven't seen any. IT COMES ON AND THEN WILL GO OUT AND SAY ITS UNAVAILABLE. So unsure what the problem is.

Thanks for any advice.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Will like some advise also. Mines is intermittent. Some times it does it and sometimes not.

Sounds like the camera units are beginning to fail. Given the model years of your Explorers, that would seem like a reasonable conclusion. There are many posts about those cameras failing and having to be replaced. Usually when that happens a message will come up telling you to see that dealer.

Peter

Thanks for the information. Yes i receive that message but i put the shift in Park and then in reverse and it's fine again.

Sounds like the camera units are beginning to fail. Given the model years of your Explorers, that would seem like a reasonable conclusion. There are many posts about those cameras failing and having to be replaced. Usually when that happens a message will come up telling you to see that dealer.

Peter
So I would think that but everyone at the dealership whether in sales or service say it's happening on brand new models as well. I am planning on ordering a new camera to see if it fixes it, but just wanted to get some more opinions thanks.

So I would think that but everyone at the dealership whether in sales or service say it's happening on brand new models as well. I am planning on ordering a new camera to see if it fixes it, but just wanted to get some more opinions thanks.
When a camera is replaced, it must be programmed to the vehicle in order for it to work correctly. This can be done by the dealer using IDS and I believe it can also be done with FORScan. There are also issues with the 6th gen camera.

Peter

So I put in a new backup camera from 1aauto.com and works perfectly with nice clear picture and all guide lines. So it must have been the camera unit going bad very easy fix.

When a camera is replaced, it must be programmed to the vehicle in order for it to work correctly. This can be done by the dealer using IDS and I believe it can also be done with FORScan. There are also issues with the 6th gen camera.

Peter
Hi Peter - can you elaborate on this a little more? What programming needs to be done by the dealer? What functionality will not be there if not programmed? Thanks.

Hi Peter - can you elaborate on this a little more? What programming needs to be done by the dealer? What functionality will not be there if not programmed? Thanks.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I'm not exactly sure what the programming all entails but I believe it may have something to do with the "Active Guidelines". If you don't have those then you may be okay without the programming. All I know is that many members who have had the camera replaced posted that they had to take it in and get it programmed to their specific Explorer. Apparently FORScan is able to do that as well.

Peter

So I put in a new backup camera from 1aauto.com and works perfectly with nice clear picture and all guide lines. So it must have been the camera unit going bad very easy fix.
I also bought a new backup camera and installed it myself by following a YouTube video. I did not need to get anything programmed at the dealership and everything works as intended! Took less than 30 minutes as well which is great.

I also bought a new backup camera and installed it myself by following a YouTube video. I did not need to get anything programmed at the dealership and everything works as intended! Took less than 30 minutes as well which is great.
So I'm guessing programming is required then for the Active Lines feature. Does the Zoom feature work?

Peter

So I'm guessing programming is required then for the Active Lines feature. Does the Zoom feature work?

Peter
I'm not sure about the zoom. I never used it previously but next time I drive, I'll check it out and report back.

I had a faulty camera in my 2011 limited. Lines went away and the image was reversed. Replaced with a new camera and issue was resolved. I didn't need to program anything.

Only issue with aftermarket cameras is the image tends to be a bit wider and turning lines may not work.

I had a faulty camera in my 2011 limited. Lines went away and the image was reversed. Replaced with a new camera and issue was resolved. I didn't need to program anything.

Only issue with aftermarket cameras is the image tends to be a bit wider and turning lines may not work.
Do the "turning' lines work on your replacement? If not it is because the camera wasn't programmed to the vehicle. Not all vehicles have the same options, such as park assist and the lines for that may not show up without programming.

Peter

Where did you get your replacement camera at? How hard is it to replace? I have Forscan to program, if needed.

Where did you get your replacement camera at? How hard is it to replace? I have Forscan to program, if needed.
I got it from ebay. There is a huge amount of aftermarket cameras to choose from with varying degrees of quality from what I could see.

I got it from ebay. There is a huge amount of aftermarket cameras to choose from with varying degrees of quality from what I could see.
Ok, that's where I thought you were going to say, just wanted to make sure.

So I've been trying to figure out my backup camera problem for a few days since I bought a used 2012 ford explorer xlt a few days ago. Some say it's bad ground wire, some have replaced the whole camera. I've checked wires and connector for corrosion and haven't seen any. IT COMES ON AND THEN WILL GO OUT AND SAY ITS UNAVAILABLE. So unsure what the problem is.

Thanks for any advice.
Having the exact problem. No corrosion at all. Comes on and then says go to dealership.

Back