• Register Today It's free!

Factory Jack/Wrong Handle

Andy G

Reaction score
City, State
Southaven Ms
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Explorer
I bought a 99 Explorer a few years ago and had a flat tire this past week..
No big deal right?
Well it was because my jack handle wouldnt fit into the jack,therefore I couldnt jack it up.

By the looks of the spare,it has never been on the ground. Also my jack appeared to be brand new (no paint rubbed off or scratch marks).

As you guys know the handles (on a 4 door) are behind the back seat.

Both of my handles have square ends whereas my bottle jack has an elongated flat opening for the handle..

Everything seems as if the spare tire equipment has never been touched.

What am I missing?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have to suggest you have to upper extensions and not the lower that fits the jack itself. I my rear compartment, left side - two twist clips - is the jack and lug wrench, and under the back seat the two extensions, one fits the jack with that oblong end, and the other fits the lower extension and jack handle. Just my guess

one of the rods under the back seat should have a kinda spoon-shaped, hooked end. it fits into the jack and also works the spare tire pulley/crank. it's not a separate piece, so i don't know what's happened to yours.

No I dont have the spooned end. If I read this correctly,Its suppost to be where the handles are at?

Im going to grab a flashlight and go look under the seat.

Thanks Guys!

Under the rear seat, two long extensions, one for the jack and that oblong end, and one with two square ends (different size if I recall) one for the lower extension and other fits that lug wrench in the back with the jack

Hey...while out there looking at your jack handles, pop the hood and chase down the vacuum line I post about today...LOL...just kidding

Ok no spoon part anywhere.

Im thinking maybe its stuck in the lowering winch. Maybe thats why I had such a hard time lowering/raising the spare with the square end.

Im going to drop the spare again and look for the spoon.

Back in a bit.

tf43 Ill check :)

I went out and took some pic's of my extensions. I'll upload as soon as I can photo shop them, and paste it all together somehow, or provide a link to them so you can see what mine look like

That would be great!
Thank you!

No I dont have the spooned end. If I read this correctly,Its suppost to be where the handles are at?

Im going to grab a flashlight and go look under the seat.

Thanks Guys!

look up into the spare tire winch hole also-

I'll try to attach them, but If I fail at that, go to this link:

http://www.tandtrepair.com/Ford/

they are the 3 numbered photos in that folder on my own site, the other is the vacuum hose I'm chasing down...sigh...
20140608_140237.jpg

20140608_140247.jpg

20140608_140253.jpg

Sorry, the pic's are rather large, rookie at the helm, but hope these help - T

tf43 those pictures are super helpful!

I just removed my spare tire winch hopeing that my spoon attachment would be stuck in there but it wasnt. Nor is it anywhere behind or under the seat.

I guess ill head to the junk yard tomorrow and look for one.

Thank You.
I appreciate your help.

Easy to see how the end "hook" breaks easily, especially when binding or frozen. Lube the winch and cable after lowering.

9651ff80-f7e5-4dbf-82de-129569166307.jpg

Not sure if this helps any, but you can use a GM tire iron/pole to lower the tire.

I had a flat tire friday, and i didn't have the pole to lower the spare tire nor the correct tire iron to turn the pole. called a friend who drives a sierra and used his pole and tire iron to lower the spare tire and get it changed. So, if you can't get one out an explorer you could use one out of a silverado/sierra

Back