• Register Today It's free!

Factory Privacy Glass

frankybotz87

Reaction score
City, State
NYC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer XLT
Anyone know the tint percentage on the rear windows? I want to have it uniform all around.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

putting 30% on the front should bring it to a close match. 50 and 75% is too light and 5% is much too dark. Unless you want to do 5% on the front and do 50% on the rear if the front turns up being too dark, it would pretty much make seeing into the interior impossible. In some places having front windows tinted is illegal. You must remember that different tint manufactures have slightly different colors and shades from one to another, so a percentage on one vehicle might end up being different on another.

I believe it is 35%

The tint person usually brings a sample outside and places it temporarily on the window as you stand back and say yes or no, only way I've had it done without guessing. The out come is exactly what you saw before:D. If it doesn't look right when sampling then try another tint place, make sure you get the name of the tint and model (ceramic etc) with percentage so you can shop around if one place doesn't have what you want. Also be aware tint may have properties that reduce radio frequency transmissions so it may affect the range of some devices depending where the antenna is.

found this post, also has the tint brand listed:D

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=403273

I have 20% on the fronts and it is a tad lighter than the backs because the fronts have a slight green tint to them in the right light. I would say the backs are around 25% or a tad lower

I think 20% is right for the front, though it may not seem as dark due to the light coming in the windshield.

Factory glass is 17% smoke colour. Mine matches perfectly.

Good luck.

Darren

Anyone know the tint percentage on the rear windows? I want to have it uniform all around.
I would think that tint shade on the rear windows would not be allowed on the front side windows. Too dark.

HOW DARK CAN WINDOW TINT BE IN NEW YORK
Darkness of tint is measured by Visible Light Transmission percentage (VLT%). In New York, this percentage refers to percentage of visible light allowed in through the combination of film and the window.

Windshield Non-reflective tint is allowed on the top 6 inches of the windshield.
Front Side Windows - Must allow more than 70% of light in.
Back Side Windows - Must allow more than 70% of light in.
Rear Window - Any darkness can be used.

Peter

The rear privacy glass on mine measures 15% on my buddies tint meter. I didn't want to go that dark so I had him go 32% on my 2 front doors.

Thanks for all the replies. It should be a lot easier the get the tint to match closer now knowing the range on the rear windows

Thanks for all the replies. It should be a lot easier the get the tint to match closer now knowing the range on the rear windows

If your place has 13% tint, that should match it perfectly. There's always a 3-5% error margin on tint meters. When my buddy did my expedition, I had him put on 13% and it matched the rear privacy glass perfectly.

Vic

My fronts are 13% and just about even.
my previous 13
20150324_154232-M.jpg

and current 16
20151119_144233-M.jpg

I would think that tint shade on the rear windows would not be allowed on the front side windows. Too dark.

HOW DARK CAN WINDOW TINT BE IN NEW YORK
Darkness of tint is measured by Visible Light Transmission percentage (VLT%). In New York, this percentage refers to percentage of visible light allowed in through the combination of film and the window.

Windshield Non-reflective tint is allowed on the top 6 inches of the windshield.
Front Side Windows - Must allow more than 70% of light in.
Back Side Windows - Must allow more than 70% of light in.
Rear Window - Any darkness can be used.

Peter

While some of this is correct, some of it is also incorrect for NY. SUV/SUV Style vehicles have no restrictions for rear windows. Fronts must always be 70% or greater transmittance

If your place has 13% tint, that should match it perfectly. There's always a 3-5% error margin on tint meters. When my buddy did my expedition, I had him put on 13% and it matched the rear privacy glass perfectly.

Vic

Tint meters are designed to have no margin of error. They have test strips to check the accuracy of them prior. 1% deviation requires recalibration. My 16 measures at 15% for the rear.

Anyone with 10% or lower that has pictures?

Here you go franky... 5%... I also have the front brow strip that covers 1/4 of the windshield. It was a little too dark. Didn't want to risk any tickets so I had it removed and put 20% on the front and kept the 5% brow strip. Looks good and I'm not sweating trying to roll my window down by cops.

xsport_zpshs7awftq.jpg

Tint meters are designed to have no margin of error. They have test strips to check the accuracy of them prior. 1% deviation requires recalibration. My 16 measures at 15% for the rear.

Did you get tint on your front that matches? I also have a 2016 and am curious what would match for the fronts. My place has either 25% or 18% in that range, so I'm guessing 18% would be closest in match to the rear?

Did you get tint on your front that matches? I also have a 2016 and am curious what would match for the fronts. My place has either 25% or 18% in that range, so I'm guessing 18% would be closest in match to the rear?

18% should be pretty close to perfect. I just had mine done on Friday and they used 20%. Said 20% matched the closest. I would say it is slightly lighter than the back but it is hard to notice unless you are really looking for it.

Had my explorer tested yesterday at my buddies shop since there was a local PD there getting the new cruiser tinted.

My buddies meter tested my rear windows to be 14%
The local PD's meter tested my rear windows to be 11%

Also tested the 2 fronts on my buddies truck.
His meter read 11%
PD meter read 9%

Both claim that their meters are calibrated. My friend had his done in Jan. PD guy said they do theirs yearly.

Guess it depends on the meter.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

^^ that's enough of a difference to get one in trouble possibly :p

Back