• Register Today It's free!

Factory Radio YL2F-18C68-CA

01redcobra

Reaction score
City, State
Center Valley, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Sport
I am trying to fix up my daughter's 98 Sport for her while she is at college. It had the typical "no display" premium radio/cd/tape. I figured I'd just buy another unit and be done. Well the other unit I got was out of a Mach system and wouldn't work right in the sport. It turned on and had a display, but you couldn't control the volume. I ended up replacing the circuit board with one from Pioneer and got her's working right.
So now I have this Mach unit and It doesn't seem to work in anyone's Explorer! Can anyone help me figure out what it belongs in? I have photos but I'm not sure how to upload them here.
The radio number is YL2F-18C68-CA and it was manufactured in 08/2000
The tag says 4 door Explorer Mach .
Someone tried it in a '99 with factory sub and said all it did for them was make a constant beep and didn't have a display. At lest it worked in ours and had a display. Just no control over the volume. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mach Dual media radio

YL2F-18C868-CA is a Mach Dual Media radio manufactured by Pioneer for use in 2000 and 2001 4-door Explorers and Mountaineers.

Sounds to me like the radio is broken. The second most likely failure mode after the display issue is loss of volume control, and the radio inexplicably turning itself "Off" or "On" at random.

regards,

Jeff

thanks

Thanks tons for that info. Jeff, do you know if that volume control issue is one of the control itself or maybe an internal circuitry thing?:) And being that it was for a 4 door would possibly explain why the rear speakers in the 98 Sport were not working with this radio.

The random Off-On and volume control issues are both due to a faulty volume control. I haven't repaired one myself, but, I don't think it's a big job, IF you can get a new volume control pot.

With regard to the 2-4 door EQ, the rear speakers on the Sport should have worked. The difference in the radio between "2-door" and "4-door" is equalization based upon interior volume. The radios will play in either body style, but the sound is optimized fro the body style denoted on the label (and this only applies to JBL or Mach version radios).

Jeff

Back