• Register Today It's free!

Factory remote start problem

edgea1286

Reaction score
City, State
cleveland, ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 EXPLORER XLT
so i just bought a 03 Explorer XLT. it is fully loaded and very very clean. looks like a brand new car and all. i am very new to these forums and dont know my way around yet so thats why im asking everyone

my problem just started happening today. my factory remote start wont start the truck. everything turns on, headlights, and all the interior acc. but it dont crank over or try to crank at all.

the remote is working and the truck is responding to the push of the button but it wont start.

this morning it worked fine when my wife left for work, then when she left work to come home it didnt work. then i went to leave and run to the store and i didnt work but on my way out of the store it worked. and just 30min ago i couldnt get anything out of it, even after driving it around for a while.

is there a relay that is starting to go or something. i have no clue what the problem could be and this truck has no other problems and everything works. besides this problem

please help me out i will try everything you throw at me. thank you

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

okay after reading a little more i found that i guess this isnt a factory remote start but its a dealer installed remote start. the FOB is a ford and it has a unlock, lock, panic, and ablue key button and thats the one that starts it.

i still have the problem just thought id let you knwo what i have

still having this problem, please someone help me. i cant figure it out. it worked all day today untill about an hour ago it wouldnt work.

i didnt notice anything im doing different throughout the day so i dont have a clue.

There's an issue with the PATS bypass unit. The key in the bypass unit may have lost it's code.

so there is an actual key in the bypass box? or are you just saying like a key code? also lets just say thats the problem, would it work every other time like its doing if the key lost its code? ill have to pull it all out of there on a free day and see if maybe something is just lose

Check the hood switch, if it´s not working OK it might prevent the truck from starting, maybe even the doors, do you have randomly the door ajar light on?

no door lights on the dash at all but you could be onto something because i have been yelling at my wife for slamming the doors lately. i dont know what has gotten into here but she pushes that thing like its our old 83 cutlace and i keep telling and showing her how easy it is to close the doors. im going to check out the switches and stuff tomorrow

Check the hood switch, if it´s not working OK it might prevent the truck from starting, maybe even the doors, do you have randomly the door ajar light on?

no door lights on the dash at all but you could be onto something because i have been yelling at my wife for slamming the doors lately. i dont know what has gotten into here but she pushes that thing like its our old 83 cutlace and i keep telling and showing her how easy it is to close the doors. im going to check out the switches and stuff tomorrow

I have never heard of a door switch causing an issue with a remote start unit. On my 03 mountaineer I was able to start the vehicle regardless of what doors were and were not open. I had a DEI Valet Remote Start unit hooked up through the factory key fob.

There is no key in the Code Alarm module. There is actually an "electronic" key ring that the pats system sees and allows the engine to start.

Depending on how the installer was feeling the day it was installed he may have hooked it up to not start if a door is ajar. Also when it is hooked up this way and the door ajar switch malfunctions (like that never happens...) it will prevent the car from starting. I doubt that it was hooked up like this because most installers know about the door ajar problem and do not activate this feature. It is possible though...
Hood switch - maybe. I have not seen these used in a while but again it will be installer dependant. Most hood switches are a small tube like device screwed to the hood. From time to time the screws come loose and fall out causing the switch to become missaligned and not work properly. Again, IMO, this is not likely as most installers are aware of the problem and do not use this feature eather.
What may have happend, and I have seen this many times, is the "electronic" key becomes disloged from around the ignition and the PATS system will not read it. All this electronic key is a coil of fine copper wire with a wire coming from it that leads to a little black box which inturn connects to the remote start module. By removing the plastic cover that is around the ignition switch you should see it. Gently press it over the ignition switch.

okay well i bet thats the problem. because i forgot to mention right before it stopped working, i was fixing a lightbulb on the cluster that went out so maybe i just knocked it lose or something. well i guess its time to pull it all back apart.

i have the code alarm ca630 on my 02 ex and i had the same problem...it was the bypass kit not working...the autostart worked tried to start but the red light on the dash board which is the pats system light was blinking really fast while it was trying to start so i know it was the bypass kit...replaced that part and it worked since....try to start the car with the autostart and look at the dash board if that red light starts blinking fast its the bypass kit not working...

I forgot to say that a way to test the pats "bypass" is to place a key into the ignition switch, leave it in the off position and then try to activate the auto start. If it works then you will know where to start looking.

thank you guyes so much. i ended up pulling the dash apart at the column and the copper wire was pulled out. works every time now. must have pulled it out when i was in there the other day and didnt notice it. thanks again for all your time guyes

Great!

I have a 2011 Ford Ranger xlt. The remote start will not work.When I push the button on the remote,the dash lights come on and the fuel pump turns on.After about 5 seconds the horn beeps 6 times and nothing happens

Mine was intermittent in starting for a few years. Also a code alarm system with poor range. Couple weekends.ago I pulled the panel under the steering wheel.and looked into It. Found none of the wires were soldered, and found one wire took little effort to pull out of a crimp. I soldered all connections and haven't had a problem since.

Remote start

Mine was intermittent in starting for a few years. Also a code alarm system with poor range. Couple weekends.ago I pulled the panel under the steering wheel.and looked into It. Found none of the wires were soldered, and found one wire took little effort to pull out of a crimp. I soldered all connections and haven't had a problem since.

Thanks but this does not help with my problem

I have a 2011 Ford Ranger xlt. The remote start will not work.When I push the button on the remote,the dash lights come on and the fuel pump turns on.After about 5 seconds the horn beeps 6 times and nothing happens

Depending on the model of remote start you have the 6 beeps typically indicates that it is in Valet mode. My wife did this once.

If your remote fob has the numbered buttons on it here are the instructions to get it out of Valet mode:

in the ON (RUN) position press the 2 button on the PowerCode remote control transmitter again. The status indicator will shut off, indicating that the system is now in its normal operating mode.

What my wide did was press the "2" button instead of the blue start button while getting out of the car.

Let me know if this works. If you have the newer single button remote fob, you will have to wait till the wife gets home with her car as she has the manual in it.

Thanks,I have the newer for with the single button

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have the newer Fob with the single button on it.

Back