Factory Service manual on a CD question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Factory Service manual on a CD question

BigE

Reaction score
City, State
Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Sport
:exp: I am looking to acquire a service manual for a 2000 Exporer - I see some for sale on Ebay that are on a CD - does anyone have any experience with these manuals on a CD? Are they a copy of the Ford Factory Service Manual? Other than Ebay where would I get one?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just bought one off eBay and haven't yet received it. From what i've heard on here, they are just burned copies of the actual FSM. For $10, you can't lose. I asked the seller b4 i bid, and he told me it is a burn of the original. Others on the board here have said the same.

Let us know how you like it. I'm watching this one and may buy it, is it the same as yours?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7949301889&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT

BuffaloXplorer said:
I just bought one off eBay and haven't yet received it. From what i've heard on here, they are just burned copies of the actual FSM. For $10, you can't lose. I asked the seller b4 i bid, and he told me it is a burn of the original. Others on the board here have said the same.

I bought a FSM off eBay for $6 soon after I bought my 01 XLT last year.

Since then I have had a number of minor and one major repair that was needed that I fixed myself with the use of the CD FSM. I am no mechanic by any means, but with the FSM it provides all you need to know once you diagnose the problem correctly. For example, I had my A/C clutch go bad last summer. With a little research, found out it was best to replace entire A/C compressor and a few other parts due to need to evacuate and recharge refrigerant. A $1,000 repair at the local dealer only cost me $300 doing it myself. I would never have tried to tackle an A/C repair myself if it wasn't for having a copy of the FSM which walked me step by step through the procedure.

Only one thing, some of the steps are a bit overkill and some steps are missing entirely. Applying some common sense should make up for this deficiency.

God's speed!

Which service manual is better:
Haynes or Chilton????

Well I'd opt for the FSM after reading the above, I'm definitely thinking of getting one as I'm well on my way to 100,000 miles. But right now I have a Haynes that I bought and used for a thermostat replacement on my 2000 Sport with the 4.0L pushrod. It was pretty clear on what to do, BUT one of the troubleshooting steps ruled out the actual problem. It said hot upper hose...NOT the thermostat. Well, looks like it was. So...don't know what that means, if anything. I guess that if its a simple/cheap repair regardless of what any manual says...it can't hurt to try.

Back