• Register Today It's free!

Fairwell old friend

rbbaker

Reaction score
City, State
Calgary, Alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT, 1992 XLT
After over 25 years and almost 400k of life my '92 Ex finally gave up the ghost. Something finally broke in transmission and I lost reverse and the only way I could move forward is to have the shifter in O/D. If i put it in 1,2 or 3, nothing. The external rust I could live with but unfortunately the body mounts were starting to rust also and I had to make the decision that the cost of even a used transmission would have been to much to spend. It was time to send the old girl off on one final trip on the back of a flat deck to new and exciting adventures as parts for someone else's amazing ride.

Now to get my '02 Ex electrical issues fixed.

Long live the EX!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Man, that's gotta be tough. After a certain point, they really become a part of you, and a part of the family. It's great that you stuck with it longer than most. The vast majority of these cars get traded away or sold by their first owners. Then they get a second or third owner that works them hard and eventually after 200k they find their way into a junkyard where they get picked over and then processed into something else.
I think the fact that it made it 400k is fantastic, and it's befitting that a car that served you so well may help keep some other survivors on the road to help their owners. A car like that certainly earns my respect, and a part of you will probably go with that car.

Man, that's gotta be tough. After a certain point, they really become a part of you, and a part of the family. It's great that you stuck with it longer than most. The vast majority of these cars get traded away or sold by their first owners. Then they get a second or third owner that works them hard and eventually after 200k they find their way into a junkyard where they get picked over and then processed into something else.
I think the fact that it made it 400k is fantastic, and it's befitting that a car that served you so well may help keep some other survivors on the road to help their owners. A car like that certainly earns my respect, and a part of you will probably go with that car.
Thanks, hard letting go of the old girl.

That's impressive for an old A4LD transmission. Did you check the Z link in the transmission to see if it got bent, disconnected or cracked?
Ya, pulled the pan and checked everything. All looked good. Prime thought for it being broken inside was when I put it into reverse it would drive back for about 3 feet or so and then go klunk and the the truck would stop moving.

RIP and with the rust, there is little chance it will return to haunt you as a KIA or worse....

Very true. It sucked though that I just redid the front brakes about a week before she gave up on life.

I'm sorry for your loss. The 1st generation Ex has some kind of heart that the new ones just don't have. I may be dealing with end-of-life issues with my 92 XLT. She's in the shop now with a fuel leak in the top of the tank. If it needs a new tank, it might not be worth repairing. I've been through everything with my Explorer, including floods and blizzards with snow so deep, I had to use 4X4 low range. I hope you have many happy memories!

Bob

California might be guilty of a whole lotta societal crimes, but one thing for sho---baby do the Fords age well.... AND You never know what lurks behind those gates...

4-exploders.jpg

I miss mine a lot. My dad had a black first gen when I was a teenager and into my 20's. I loved that thing. Was a '92 XLT, black with red pinstriping, red leather interior, sunroof, and JBL stereo. Later, he got a '94 XLT, tan leather, auto headlights, keyless entry. When he passed, it was given to me.

I did everything I could to keep her running. Over $5,000 spent on repairs and upgrades, many hours spent wrenching and finding parts. At a bit over 172,000 miles, 2nd gear stopped working. Tried fiddling with the vacuum modulator, vacuum lines, wiring, fluid, etc. I lived with it for a bit, thinking I'd get a remanned transmission. A bit later, the engine lost compression. The piston rings were shot. The previous owners didn't put the level of care into it I did, and Dad cared for it, but he didn't drive much, and didn't drive far or hard, so any of those weak spots didn't make themselves known. I, however, do lots of interstate driving with several roadtrips each year, plus commute in city traffic in all seasons, including brutal winters.
I had no choice but to give it up. New engine or rebuild and same with transmission? I couldn't do it.

I miss my Ex, and whoever said the 1st gens are best is right. They are everything they are supposed to be. I just wish the A4LD was tougher.

After over 25 years and almost 400k of life my '92 Ex finally gave up the ghost. Something finally broke in transmission and I lost reverse and the only way I could move forward is to have the shifter in O/D. If i put it in 1,2 or 3, nothing. The external rust I could live with but unfortunately the body mounts were starting to rust also and I had to make the decision that the cost of even a used transmission would have been to much to spend. It was time to send the old girl off on one final trip on the back of a flat deck to new and exciting adventures as parts for someone else's amazing ride.

Now to get my '02 Ex electrical issues fixed.

Long live the EX!!!
Sorry to hear about your Ex.

I have a ‘98 Mty that I bought new and she has just 106k on her.

20th BDay was last week.... she decided she wanted a party with an all you can drink oil bar with synthetic... a little pricey but I went for it. Not too many of the friends she was born with are still around so it was a smaller party. Lol...

But seriously ... you do get attached to these things and I’m having a hard time trying to move on to a newer Lexus GX 470 or prior gen Land Cruiser. Although she’s been pretty good off road I want something even more capable with newer tech. The next gen Ex’s from what I’ve read are harder to lift etc because of the IFS and aren’t really considered great off road vehicles.

Good luck with the ‘new’ Ex!!!

Oh, man, I'm in the same boat: 1992 XLT, stick, 254,000 miles, lots of rust, and the fuel pump mounting flange is rusted out. I love my old Explorer but the cost to repair this is just not worth it, even if a new fuel tank could be found. Yes, the 1st generation was the best. Even my mechanic says so (he had a 91). Mine has gotten me home through floods and blizzards, when I needed 4Low just to get up a snow-covered hill on the highway when every other vehicle was spinning its wheels. What could replace it? Not the current model, with is more like a Taurus wagon with a 3rd row seat: low ground clearance with that front air dam, Taurus engine, Taurus suspension, Volvo S60 drive train, off-road capable only on soccer fields! I'm going to try to keep mine through the winter for the snow, but in the spring I'll have to let her go and look for something new.

I feel your pain!
Bob

I agree. Not a fan of what they've become. These days, for a real SUV, the Toyota 4Runner ticks the boxes for me. BOF, real 4x4, and can actually accomplish something that isn't getting stuck in anything more dangerous than an ill-maintainted parking lot. They can be pricey, though. And they hold their value in a deathgrip. 5 figures is hard to escape, especially if it's 10 years old (or newer) and low miles, in good shape. Even over 100k miles, they're still up there.
Oh, man, I'm in the same boat: 1992 XLT, stick, 254,000 miles, lots of rust, and the fuel pump mounting flange is rusted out. I love my old Explorer but the cost to repair this is just not worth it, even if a new fuel tank could be found. Yes, the 1st generation was the best. Even my mechanic says so (he had a 91). Mine has gotten me home through floods and blizzards, when I needed 4Low just to get up a snow-covered hill on the highway when every other vehicle was spinning its wheels. What could replace it? Not the current model, with is more like a Taurus wagon with a 3rd row seat: low ground clearance with that front air dam, Taurus engine, Taurus suspension, Volvo S60 drive train, off-road capable only on soccer fields! I'm going to try to keep mine through the winter for the snow, but in the spring I'll have to let her go and look for something new.

I feel your pain!
Bob

R.I.P. My 93 Limited is getting close to the end of its life as well. Though, not for any mechanical issues. It still runs PERFECT after 25 years (replaced transmission once). But it’s been well maintained and in my family since it was brand new. It’s just succumbing to rust. I live in the very northeast corner of Indiana next to Ohio and Michigan. Snowy salty roads are bad on the winter and this beast has ate up every single winter since it’s birth. 4x4 and dedicated winter tires are unbeatable in this thing.

I mentioned to my wife that it could be the last winter for the Explorer due to the rust ruining everything, she replied “I guess we will need to plan a funeral service”. Such a smartass, but she knows how much I love this thing.

That being said, I will likely be selling mine after this winter or sending it to a scrap yard. If anyone needs parts let me know. I have HID projectors retrofitted into the stock headlights. Hella projector fog lights. Aftermarket black and polished grill. Short ram intake. Brand new window regulator and motor in drivers side front door. Every single switch and option on the vehicles works perfectly. Push button auto locking 4x4. Only thing that doesn’t work is the a/c. It’s a great vehicle! 250,000 miles or so. Running all synthetic fluids. Lots of new sensors and parts. New brake lines. Tow hitch. Extra stuff. Etc.

My 92 XLT will have to go, too. I'm just having trouble arriving at the only logical decision. 26 years and 255,000 miles, Its like the Neil Young song, "Long may you run". I've never kept a vehicle more than 8 years, but the old Ex has been apart of my life for so long, with many adventures (good and bad). It still runs fine. The tires are good. The manual trans shifts like new since I had the slave cylinder and clutch replaced 4 years ago. The problem is rust. NJ uses a lot of road salt and the fuel pump mount is rusted out. If the tank is topped off, fuel pours out the top. If I fill it only partially, I can still smell fumes when I stand near it. New fuel tanks for 1st gens are not available and if I found one in a salvage yard, I can't get psyched to drop the tank. No doubt the hardware is very rusted. Even if that were practical, there is a lot of rust on the body. Even the valve covers are rusted.

Everybody, including my local trusted mechanic, says it's time to let her go. I wish I could sell it to an enthusiast who has the ability and desire to fix it up, but I don't see that happening. I've never had to junk a car before. It would be like a cowboy shooting his horse. One thing I plan to do, and I suggest this to anyone who has to part with an old Ex, is to write a history of your explorer and you, including photos. No one has to read it but you. I'm also going to save a couple of parts and hang them on the wall of the garage.

- Bwana Bob

That really begs the question: if you junk an old car, which parts do you keep?

Back