CDW6212R

Hauls the mail.
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Knoxville, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Limited AWD 302
Hello, I swapped my 91 fan clutch for my 93 fan clutch. Does anyone know what difference there is between a new fan clutch, and a good used one?

My 91 has set for about three years, and the transmission front seal leaks when very hot. My temperature gauge doesn't work properly, so actual water temp. is unknown. I just replaced the 180 thermostat again, added water pump lubricant, and Redline's Water Weter.

I noticed an excessive amount of darkness built up on this 91 fan, so I suspect that the clutch is going. My 93 is decommisioned, so all parts are usable. I didn't have any problems with my 93, so I know the fan clutch is still functioning.

So the question is, how much cooling can be gained by spending $60 for a fan clutch, to replace a used 93 fan clutch? Thanks for any help,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The general rule of thumb I've seen is that you loose up to 10% every year of driving...

So after year 1, the fan clutch is workign 90% as well as it was new
After year 2 it is 81% as well etc

I don't know how accurate that is, but I do know that when I changed out my fan clutch with a new (thermal) one after 10 year of usage that it make a big difference out here in the desert.

I personally use a heavy duty thermal fan clutch. It does run more often than the regular fan clutches but out here in the desert it is needed.

~Mark

It is rare that it can be heard. It looks the same all of the time, but sometimes it starts to roar. Assumably that's the sound of the fan turning faster, and making more noise. Thanks for the thoughts.

Adding my 93 cooler to the 91 cooler may have helped a little, but it still leaks when fully hot. I guess I should bite the bullet and buy a new fan clutch. Regards,

With our current fan (the thermal one) It sounds almost like a blower (it has a definate whine and roar).. If I'm merging on the freeway (long onram) and it is hot out it will normally roar until just after I get on the freeway, then it gets quiet (starts to freewheel).

The one I replaced I never heard..

~Mark

Mark, that would describe my 91 clutch, I can't recall ever hearing it. I hadn't driven the truck in almost three years, and only have added about 9,000 miles to it. The 93 I hear once in a while. Is there any real difference in brands, cheap or expensive, Ford, etc.
I didn't want to put a lot more money into this 91, but for a while, I have no choice. Thanks,

I don't know what brands are better than others, but when I bought mine I didn't buy the autozone special.. I got mine from the same place the local shops buy their parts.. Most things I've bought from them are better quality than what I find at checker/autozone.

~Mark

Back