• Register Today It's free!

Fan Clutch Replacement

apenland01

Reaction score
City, State
Tucson AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Eddie Bauer V8 4.6L
Wow, I replaced the fan clutch yesterday and it fixed a couple of issues.

Over the last few months, since it has gotten hot, my A/C seemed to occasionally cycle off at stop lights, slow traffic, etc and I wouldn't have A/C until I started moving again. Then about a week ago, I started getting slight overheats, just over half, when idling for more than a minute or so.

I could hear a bit of fan noise in the morning on startup, but didn't hear it during the day, while driving around town.

I put the new fan clutch in and holy crap, I can hear fan noise again! You don't realize how quiet your fan gets when the fan clutch gets weak and starts failing. I took it out for my test drive and it roared all the way down the road, but started to quiet down after about 10 minutes of normal driving.

A/C blows nice and cold, even at stop lights, and I didn't have any movement on the temp gauge. My external temperature was also showing the right temp. Before, it was showing about 7 degrees hotter than reality, so I was gaining radiator/condenser heat, without the cluster temp gauge really showing it.

So, replacing the fan clutch fixed my intermittent overheat, A/C runs better at idle and outside temp gauge works correctly. That's a lot of little gremlins fixed by a $40 part and 45 minutes of work to install......

I've seen them do the opposite, too. Bearing on which clutch hub spins locks up, fan pulls air to the max all the time, sounds kinda like a Piper Cub! imp

Back