• Register Today It's free!

Fan clutch replacement

BUMPNTRUNK

Reaction score
City, State
alpharetta, ga
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 XLT
Been doing alot of work on the explorer (of course) and now have to replace the fan clutch..Can anyone provide a link to an instruction maunal or video or picture tutorial on how to do this on an 04 explorer V6 XLT? Got the clutch but the auto zone guy also said I needed a special wrench kit with it. I thought I just undo the 4 screws attaching to motor and then the 4 screws attaching fan to clutch...this wrench kit comes with 2 massive wrenches, one of which is supposed to go on the water pully? No idea but with some info, can get it done. THANKS ALL!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The big spanner locks onto the four nuts on the water pump's pulley, then use the other wrench on the big nut on the clutch itself. It's normal threads so lefty loosey.

Try to pry them apart instead of putting a lot of weight downwards, don't want to hurt the water pump bearings.

then swap the fan to the new clutch. Inspect the fan for any cracks, and I'd use a little loctite on the four bolts.

remove shroud 2 10mm bolts. pull top half of shroud off.

tools needed

10mm wrench
large adjustable wrench
pipe to fit over adjustable wrench handle
3/8 drive 6 inch extension
3/8 drive 4 inch extension
3/4 deep socket

spin water pump pully so that you can see two bolts on top. remove one bolt so adjustable wrench can fit all the way down on fan clutch nut

put 10mm wrench on bottom right bolt of the pully.

slide 3/4 deep socket over 10mm wrench with 6 extension attached to socket

put the 4 inch extension in the ilder belt teninsior square notch

put large adjustable wrench on fan nut

hold 4 inch extension, rest 6 inch extension on top of the 4 inch extension and grab the adjustable wrench and turn it to the passenger side.

done.

Looks like there are two similar threads here, so sorry if this is a repeat Q, how do you know you need to change the fan clutch?

I was trying to sort out what appears to be a drag on the FEAD that is causing the message center to bleep: Check charging system for which I have yet to find the solution... thanks!

Looks like there are two similar threads here, so sorry if this is a repeat Q, how do you know you need to change the fan clutch?

I was trying to sort out what appears to be a drag on the FEAD that is causing the message center to bleep: Check charging system for which I have yet to find the solution... thanks!

With the engine cold, the fan should spin freely by hand. If it is stiff and does not easily spin, then the clutch is worn out. However, a bad fan clutch will have no impact on the message center.

The clutch alone has no MC interation - what I am chasing is what is causing the MC bleep - that is drag on the system.

The clutch alone has no MC interation - what I am chasing is what is causing the MC bleep - that is drag on the system.

The clutch "locks" when fully heated, which is the most amount of drag it can induce on the system. Since this happens during regular operation, the message center would never have an issue because of it because it has no way of knowing if it is working as intended or worn out.

looks funny but works!

picture.php?albumid=19253&pictureid=74843.jpg

With the engine cold, the fan should spin freely by hand. If it is stiff and does not easily spin, then the clutch is worn out. However, a bad fan clutch will have no impact on the message center.

Ok, I've got a fan clutch question (2002 4.6L Explorer). I'm not really sure if it is bad or not, as we have no overheating / temp issues. A while back the dealership said it looked like it was "turning too slow" and recommended replacing the clutch.

So today while I was doing some other work on the rig I checked it out.

Cold: fan spins by hand about 2 blades then stops. No noise or grinding, it turns smooth, but feels like there is some tension on it ~ so it only turns about 2 blades then comes to a stop.

Took it for a 20minute drive, engine up to temperature, and checked it again.
Hot: seems the same as when it is cold.

Thanks for any replies, I appreciate it.

Ok, I've got a fan clutch question (2002 4.6L Explorer). I'm not really sure if it is bad or not, as we have no overheating / temp issues.

Cold: fan spins by hand about 2 blades then stops. No noise or grinding, it turns smooth, but feels like there is some tension on it ~ so it only turns about 2 blades then comes to a stop.

Hot: seems the same as when it is cold.

Hot or cold, when I turn give it a fling by hand it will go turn about 2 blades-worth then stop.

Does it sound like my fan clutch needs replaced?

Mine does the same thing, I haven't gotten around to changing it, but I want to. I may never do it, as I am contemplating dupming my explorer this year.

The part is only around $100, rent some fan tools and spen at hour maybe and it would be done.

Fan Clutch

I know mines bad because it sounds like an airplane propeller...not supposed to do that.

Back