Fathers suspension is the worst i have ever drove!!!. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fathers suspension is the worst i have ever drove!!!.

Lj93Z28GM

Reaction score
I am referring to my fathers truck. It is a 94' Explorer 2dr 2wd A4 with around 84K on it. After the first month of owning it he relized that this truck is very poor in regards to its suspension. It has tons of body roll, strays on the road, hits bumps harder than anything i have seen even though it is not stable? It has been through more shocks than believable and has a steering stabilizer on it to stop the wandering.

Now is the time for him to figure out how to solve the problems above. I am a sportscar guy myself and wanna know what your views are to fix his truck. Are the factory bushings any good on his truck. He has new tires on it and they helped but he wants it to be better.

What shocks to buy for his vehicle? Any suggestions on how to cure his needs?

Thanks

Welcome to the site! For the body roll you might need new stiffer swaybars. For the ride you might need new springs or coils. Explorer Express has a trick rear leafs for 91-94 Explorers that gives its a more firmer, improved ride. For the wandering it could be the alignment. What kinds of shocks have been put on it? It could be many other things, but those are the most obvious I can think of. Explorers dont ride too nice, but they sure look good :D And being a 2dr would probably contribute to the worsened ride. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong on any of this..

Get some bilstein shocks. These are stiff and takes a lot of the body roll away. Other things you could do is poly raduis arm bushings. and stiffer sway bars.

That would make that Explorer ride like a sports car.

Yes it is a very good truck and i am not trying at all to compare it to my Z28 but i have been in a number of other explorers and they ride much nicer. The others that i was in were 4X4's and seemed stiffer with little roll i believe it just to be found on the two 2drs with 2wd since it has a less stable wheel base and the springs are softer. My father is not out to set any records with this truck climbing hills or 4 wheelin but wants it not to sway and ride choppy. I believe you guys might be right out the radius arm bushing going bad since his does hit hard with a sound given by a bad bearing. Thanks for the help and that is why i am asking.

Back