• Register Today It's free!

which rancho shocks?!

MadMike6786

Reaction score
City, State
hillsborough, nj
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 sport
my dad has been itching to get some new shocks for his truck and i figured it be a good christmas gift =D he wants a pair of rancho shocks... after doing my covert ops mission in my house to find the piece of paper that has all the crap he wants for his truck he has the Rancho RS5000 and the Ranch RSX on his list.

my question is has anyone used either of the shocks? im interested in what all of you think

the RSX sounds like a bunch of bull to me after reading the web site "intelligent shock absorber" the 5000 looks to be an upgrade from stock and a pretty good choice

hope you can help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Summit is having a special on Rancho RS9000RCX's right now. Buy 4 9000RCX's get a free in-cab controller.

Rancho Offer

I did research a week ago on Rancho. Lots of happy 5000 customers. 9000 are adjustable, but very expensive. I saw adjustability as a nice option, but something I'd rarely use. I didn't find a lot of info on the RSX. They seem like re-badged Monroe Reflex (same manufacturer after all). For less than the price of the 9000, I went with Bilstein instead, well at least I have some on order. Lots of great press on Bilstein. I was definitely interested in the 5000 as well. They seem to be the best shock for the money.

The SEARCH feature is definitely useful at the best of times, but definitely for this purpose. Use "Rancho" as your search term and you'll find tons of posts on the subject.

90ranajo said:
Summit is having a special on Rancho RS9000RCX's right now. Buy 4 9000RCX's get a free in-cab controller.

Rancho Offer

Yebbut, there are a lot of people out there that describe that controller as junk. :thumbdwn:

aldive said:
Give consideration to the 9000x ; the adjust ability is great.
Absolutely... :thumbsup: This really shines because people preferences are different. One persons opinion that a shock is good may not be what you consider to be good.. The rancho 5000s in terms of stiffness come in at the 9000s middle setting. As such you can dial in your shocks to your preference. I was looking at the RSX shocks, but went with the 9000s.. I just didn't want to slap in some new shocks and find out I didn't like them... With the adjustibility I can tune all four shocks for street or off-road in 2 minutes...

BTW I used to run Bilsteins in my stock X and the are GREAT! :thumbsup: I wanted to get them for my lifted X, but they only had shocks for the front.

DeRocha said:
BTW I used to run Bilsteins in my stock X and the are GREAT! :thumbsup: I wanted to get them for my lifted X, but they only had shocks for the front.

My Ex is always going to be stock height so I'm certain the Bilstein will be awesome OEM replacements. (sorry to hijack original thread).

yea i read some were that the contorller is junk it is very expensive. well thanks for your help guys im going to go with the 5000 since its an affordable more day to day shock

the 5000's work well, they are a bit too stiff IMO, but my buddy has them on his first gen 4 door daily and loves them.

I have used the RSX on my 4 door daily driver and absolutely love the ride.
Monro-sens-a-tracs are good shocks, very similar to the RSX if not the same.

I have the 9000's on my BII and LOVE THEM, I actually turn the adjusters at least a few times a year though.

IMO if you dont need adjustable the RSX will work great on a heavy SUV.

just put the 9000's on a few days ago and they are great. I have the incab but prob be the first of the year before it goes on. SOme say its junk and others say its great. Guess jsut depends on the person but i would recommend the 9000's bc you can adjust to what you like

Rancho 5000's

I really like the RS5000's alot and have run them on three different vehicles over the past 5 years. They provide a nice firm ride on road and eat up bumps off road. For the price you can't go wrong. I just put a set on my '99 XLT this summer after dealing with the OEM's for 133,x.. miles and it was a night and day difference. This past week I lift the rear of my X a little more then 3" and the ride quality is better. I still have really pushed them in the woods yet but I have a feeling that they will do just fine. If your father is going to stay mostly on the road and possibly go out hunting or camping once in a while then the RS5000's will be great. If he is going to catch the 4wheelin' bug then you might consider the RS9000's. You never know the RS9000's might make him want to have fun with this explorer

Back