Faulty Fuel Gauge | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Faulty Fuel Gauge

i have a 91 explorer xlt and my fuel guage dont work at all now. it worked just fine wen i got it a few weeks ago and now all of the sudden it dont work at all.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This just happened to me, I'm trying the fuel treatment first. I just changed my oil, I can't imagine that had anything to do with it.

I put 10 bucks in the tank then another 13 then drove to wahoo and put another 10 in to come home and it never moved the whole time

I'm having the same problem with my fuel gauge. On the last fill up, it took about 50 miles for it to register full and I'm not sure how accurate the gauge is now. I haven't driven it much since. I will fill it up again to see how many gallons it takes. It's a pain in the butt not knowing how much fuel you have.

How much would replacement parts cost?

Beanie, it's best to let the tank get down quite some way before filling it up. My dad fills once his needle comes off full (still has about 7/8 tank left) but it's OK in his old t-bird. He had my truck for a week and filled the tank after, then told me it seemed the gauge didn't work - just explorers being explorers. It actually says in the manual (and some servicing directions) that if enough gas isn't put in to make a noticeable change then it may not register for 50-100 miles, by which time you'll likely have used that much gas again.

On the other hand, I once had a corolla whose previous owner regularly used Lucas Fuel System Treatment, and the gauge in that took 15 minutes to rise after filling even from empty, as it had been gummed up by the solution. Eventually after a few months without adding the Lucas, the gauge acted normally again.

Having said that, you may just have a bad sending unit which would need to be replaced.

My 05 takes about 20 miles or so to reach the full mark after filling.

It bothers the chit outta me, but I'm not about to start throwing expensive parts at in hope that the problem will be fixed.

I have a 1994 Ford Explorer 4.0l Eddie Bauer with conventional, analogue cluster. The fuel gauge fluctuates spastically. I replaced the fuel pump/sender assy and it still happens. I then consulted AllData and found two grounds that should be cleaned of paint and/or corrosion. The location of these grounds are as follows. G104 is on the left hand apron area of the engine bay. There are two grounds there, I just cleaned them both. The second ground, G201 is in the cab behind the right lower kick panel next to ECM. this seemed to remedy the issue. lets see how well this goes..

I have a 1994 Ford Explorer 4.0l Eddie Bauer with conventional, analogue cluster. The fuel gauge fluctuates spastically. I replaced the fuel pump/sender assy and it still happens. I then consulted AllData and found two grounds that should be cleaned of paint and/or corrosion. The location of these grounds are as follows. G104 is on the left hand apron area of the engine bay. There are two grounds there, I just cleaned them both. The second ground, G201 is in the cab behind the right lower kick panel next to ECM. this seemed to remedy the issue. lets see how well this goes..

I know this is a very old thread but I thought I would put in my 2 cents. I have a 04 explorer with the same problem a few years ago. I filled the tank and then added MMO marvel mystery oil with the usual amount. After using a half a tank I refilled and every thing work fine. A couple of years later. It did the same thing, again added the MMO and took care of the problem, so now I had a small amount about once a year.

Why do fuel gauges have to be complicated?

Fuel gauges have been working fine for years. Do we really need software and computer programs to make a damn needle go back and forth? What's wrong with a gauge and a sending unit, PERIOD! WTF FORD?! Spend your engineering dollars to make a decent rear end, or an automatic trans that doesn't require a degree to change the fluid, or a 4X4 module that doesn't suck!
Amen

Back