Feels like ABS is kicking on during low speed stops? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Feels like ABS is kicking on during low speed stops?

EvinH

Reaction score
City, State
Catskill, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ford Explorer ST
Hopefully someone can help point me in the right direction as to what I may need to do to fix this issue on my 01 ST. For a while now, when stopping from low speed, like in traffic or coming up on a stop sign/traffic light, I'm getting feedback in the brake pedal as if the ABS is kicking in. Initially I thought it was cause my brakes were bad. I have recently put new rotors and pads on. I topped off the fluid and will be bleeding the brakes tomorrow. I also changed the rear shoes about 4-5 months ago. Anyone have any idea what could be causing this? Bad ABS sensor? I've noticed that either the bulb for the ABS light in the dash is out or it's not working correctly as it does not light when this issue happens and it doesn't light up when I've stopped hard in the snow lately to see if the light comes on.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the lite should only come on when there is a problem and stay on until it is cleared/repaired. does the lite flash on self test with the others when you do initial start up of vehicle? are driving on Snow covered roads?

the lite should only come on when there is a problem and stay on until it is cleared/repaired. does the lite flash on self test with the others when you do initial start up of vehicle? are driving on Snow covered roads?

I did check and the light comes on when I turn the key. So I guess the bulb is working. Maybe it's on my wife's 07 Explorer, but I thought the ABS light went on/blinked when it was "kicking in". As for driving on snow covered roads, not all the time, but this also happens on dry roads.

Is it true that your wheel hubs need to be cleaned of any rust/corrosion and anti-seize put on it before putting on a new rotor? I read this in all places, the Family Handyman magazine and what they described in the article was the brake pedal pulsing, which is what I am experiencing, was caused by rust buildup on the wheel hub and caliper bracket.

i am seemingly having the same issue with mine.
i diagnosed mine as a left front sensor problem as when it would happen the wheel would turn to the right. however im going to be replacing both front wheel hubs (comes with abs sensor).

if youre not sure if its abs or not. you can unplug one of the sensors. (this will cause a fault in the abs, and the light will come on also prevent abs from kicking on) then test drive the vehicle in a safe area. if the problem goes away its abs kicking on. if its still there its base brake. i hope that makes sense and helps you solve the problem.

i currently have my left sensor unplugged to stop the abs from turning on, cause i got tired of it happening while i wait for parts.

good luck

Thanks for suggestion Splendid. I'll give that a try and see also.

Mine (01 ST) started doing the same thing maybe a month ago. Today after my wife dropped me off at school she texted that the abs light came on after she had gone through some snow that hadn't been plowed yet. When she got home she turned the engine off then on and the light went out. It did the same thing a few years ago when we were in Germany but the pulsing pedal is new.

i am seemingly having the same issue with mine.
i diagnosed mine as a left front sensor problem as when it would happen the wheel would turn to the right. however im going to be replacing both front wheel hubs (comes with abs sensor).

if youre not sure if its abs or not. you can unplug one of the sensors. (this will cause a fault in the abs, and the light will come on also prevent abs from kicking on) then test drive the vehicle in a safe area. if the problem goes away its abs kicking on. if its still there its base brake. i hope that makes sense and helps you solve the problem.

i currently have my left sensor unplugged to stop the abs from turning on, cause i got tired of it happening while i wait for parts.

good luck

Mine pulls to the left; is it safe to assume it's the right sensor?

Mine pulls to the left; is it safe to assume it's the right sensor?

It could be cause mine tends to pull to the right, but I couldn't tell if that was just my steering rack being off after being replaced. I also had the right front hub replaced about 8 months ago, been meaning to get around to replacing the left. Will update once I do.

Thanks,
About the only thing I can do with a vehicle is change the oil and mount/balance tires. When it happens it's a hard pull to the left almost a quarter turn jerk in the steering wheel.

Brake pulsing and pulling are two very different things. Pulsing is almost always an ABS issue or a faulty rotor caused by lateral runout. Brake pull is often caused by a sticking caliper due to binding slide pins or hardware, caliper piston, or restricted hoses.

False ABS Activation After Wheel Bearing Hub Replacement
http://www.brakeandfrontend.com/false-abs-activation-wheel-bearing-hub-replacement/

Stop the ‘Warped’ Rotors Myth and Service Brakes the Right Way
http://www.brakeandfrontend.com/rotor-runout-cause-and-correction/

Thanks,
About the only thing I can do with a vehicle is change the oil and mount/balance tires. When it happens it's a hard pull to the left almost a quarter turn jerk in the steering wheel.

you probably want to check out the base brake system.

Brake pulsing and pulling are two very different things. Pulsing is almost always an ABS issue or a faulty rotor caused by lateral runout. Brake pull is often caused by a sticking caliper due to binding slide pins or hardware, caliper piston, or restricted hoses.

False ABS Activation After Wheel Bearing Hub Replacement
http://www.brakeandfrontend.com/false-abs-activation-wheel-bearing-hub-replacement/

Stop the ‘Warped’ Rotors Myth and Service Brakes the Right Way
http://www.brakeandfrontend.com/rotor-runout-cause-and-correction/

Thanks SWS. The first one describes exactly what is happening. And the second one shows I definitely missed the cleaning of the hub part when doing the brake job. Once again lack of knowledge is costly! Thanks!!! :thumbsup: :)

if it is pulling to he right, change the left wheel hub bearing(sensor is built in) if it pulls left change the right. i went through this last fall, after I already changed the right hub due to loose/worn bearing 4 months prior. good luck & yes it is not safe to drive in that condition, if you cant fix it right away, reach up behind the front wheel well were the sensor wire dissappears to & disconnect 1 sensor. this will disable the ABS which will give you regular braking power but you will have no ABS. you could also pull a fuse but I am not sure which one to pull. good luck

if it is pulling to he right, change the left wheel hub bearing(sensor is built in) if it pulls left change the right. i went through this last fall, after I already changed the right hub due to loose/worn bearing 4 months prior. good luck & yes it is not safe to drive in that condition, if you cant fix it right away, reach up behind the front wheel well were the sensor wire dissappears to & disconnect 1 sensor. this will disable the ABS which will give you regular braking power but you will have no ABS. you could also pull a fuse but I am not sure which one to pull. good luck

That's what had to be done. Took it in and was told the right bearing was almost done. Replaced that one and the left for good measure since I've no idea if it was ever done by the previous owner. The brake issue has stopped and now I'm free to focus on other things like replacing shocks, serpentine, end link bushings etc...

Finally got around to replacing both wheel hubs this weekend and I'm happy to say that the issue went away. ABS kicks in when it should and braking feels better. I can't tell you how happy I am without that annoyance! Thanks to everyone who chimed in!

Back