Fel-Pro vs. Victor Reinz Gaskets | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fel-Pro vs. Victor Reinz Gaskets

Reaction score
City, State
North Dakota
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 sport 90k, 94 Xlt 157k
Hey everyone, im going to be changing my upper and lower intake, cylinder head, and valve cover gaskets, and im wondering what you guys prefer for a brand, i think they both have a kit for all of the gaskets i need plus they include new head bolts, thanks :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Fel-Pro, the only gaskets I trust

I have used both with success. I think attention to details like proper torque sequence and preparing the mating surfaces properly is far more important.

Thanks guys, i will definantly go with Fel-Pro, and i will make sure i follow my Chilton Manual word per word. How would a guy go about with the RTV sealant? What kind would i need, and is there any spots that "really" need it the most like around the edges? sorry for any confusion... and again thanks :)

You can buy 3M Scotchbrite style pads and a mandrel for cleaning mating surfaces. Chuck it in a cordless drill and get to it. Works great. You will have to use a shop vac to vacuum out the cylinders after cleaning the block. Usually I stuff rags in where I can to keep things clean. Use clean rags to wipe the cylinder walls with some light oil until the rags do not pick up any dirt.

You need to spread some RTV at the front and rear where the lower manifold seals to the block. Do this just prior to installing the LIM, you don't want it to skin over prior to. You will be supplied with cork but it is a very common mod to use RTV. Black is what I use. I have used it on 302's and the 4.0L successfully.

You should allow the RTV to cure prior to staring the engine. If you start it right away you might mess up the seal if there is a strong enough vacuum in the crankcase. Probably not, but for the sake of a few hours... let it harden up over night.

Back