few questions

anth2c

Reaction score
City, State
letcher, ky
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 explorer 4.0 ohv
ive got a couple questions....ive got a 99 explorer 4.0 ohv

i think recently ive gotten some water in the gas i dont know how much but it started running horrbile. ive put additive in to help with it. well it has gotten better but occasionly it will still die on me while driving(usually going downhill or coming to a stop). but i can put it in N and it wil start right back up. now if im going say 55 or 60 and i mash the gas it start hesitating somewhat and wont kick into overdrive. ive been having transmission problems too i dont know if this hesitation is cause by the transmission or the actual motor itself needing something. when the engine was running its worst it was fine on level ground but if you started going uphill it was horrible it wouldnt go over 30 mph.

ok next question. if im going say 60 and let off the gas the rpms drop from around 3000(should it be at this rpm range at 60?) to idle and when u get back on the gas it wont start pulling until it gets back up to around 2500(not normal is it?). is this cause by the trasnmission problem ive been having? the problems i have are late shifting from 1st to second at around 4500 unless i easily pull out. then when it shifts again it shifts quickly . and most of the time the first shift is hard.

ok yesterday after barely getting my vehicle back to the garage i work on it at. i decided to drain the gas. well after draining the gas and puting fresh gas in i now have no fire to start the engine it cranks all day but wont turn over. i havnt gotten to check any codes yet ill be doing that today. but based on how poorly it was running anyone have any suggestions to what might cause the problem? coil pack? sensor? i cant really afford to go out and start buying parts to try and determine whats wrong with it.

it was getting so bad that going up hills it got to 10 mph and u could floor it and it would not do anything as far as increasing rpm or anything and if you put it in neutral it would only rev up to around 2000 or 2500 and it would hesitate and miss. never would clear up. while i was taking it to the garage. when it would slow down and not idle much i could cut it off in neutral and fire it back up and it would rev up for a min and if i put it back in drive it would take off for a second and get me going a little more but then it would start doing the same thing again.

Back