fill break in stock running boards + fix bumper | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

fill break in stock running boards + fix bumper

Ok, this has been bothering me since I got my ex. The lines from the doors and the line on the running boards dont line up... I see the obvious reasons why - but I want to fill in that gap and paint it. I dont have a good pic of my ex of what I'm talking about, so here is someone else's ex.
10058e9_4.jpg

I have no experience w/ bodywork. So I need detailed explanations :D . Ok, I know that some type of clay/filling compound can be used on the body to fill dents, but to fill a gap like that? Would I have to worry about it cracking since it is joining two pieces together that might have different loads applied to them?

I want the end result to be like this :
14017.jpg

yes I know that is on a sport, and an aftermarket runningboard - I am just talking about not having the break there.

This brings me to my next question... Gf's sister basically keyed her car (about 5 ft long) w/ the corner of my bumper trying to get in her driveway late at night, after a few too many. Took off a good chunk.
10058100_0718__large_.jpg

Can't tell from photo, but the black area is about 1/8" deep. Dealer wants basically $75 or something per square inch of damage. I want to save her some money and try to fill it in and sand it myself so that they only have to paint it. How would I go about doing so? Would sanding a corner like that be extremely difficult?

Also, does the bumper seem a bit too low? everyone says it looks low, and I've noticed it definetly does drop down a little more from the grill then others (compare it to the 1st photo).

any detailed instructions w/ pictures would be appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, I have heard of plastic bumper repair material that works on eurathane bumpers, and I think that would work for the bumper.

The bumper looks a little low, and that can be adjusted by loosening the four bolts that hold it on and repositioning it. It should be able to be adjusted vertically.

The running boards would be difficult to fill, because they are designed to be removed in two pieces. I'm sure someone else could come up with a better idea, but the bumper repair material might work in this application too. Also the gap is to allow the running board to be the perfect length so factory installation is easy. If you fill it, reinforce it from the backside too.

I have never used fiberglass before, so I don't know if that would work.

We can work on your bumper at my place after finals, if I have time to get to your remote start install.

As for the running boards, I would advise against using body filler or glass b/c it'll be to rigid and will separate from the plastic when the running board flexes as you step on it. You're going to have to find something that will bond well to plastic (hard to do) and will be flexible but still paintable

The bumper will need to be sanded down, then the hole will need to be built up, and the bumper will need to be sanded again and primered, painted

That is what I was worried about with the flexing of the running boards and the material that would fill the gap. I might be able to stick a piece of metal inbetween the two boards to join them together, maybe making the flex less. I dunno, I'll to go stand on one side, see how much it bends compared to the other.

Hokie, that is the first post I've seen that didn't have a smartass remark when referring to me =P

and what is this 'if we have time' business?! We're heading out early on thursday to get to your place early and have all day thursday to do work... I'll come and pack your place up myself if I have to.:D

Since you have to repaint the bumper, go all white.

I want someone to photoshop my pics and show me what it will look like... I think if it is all white, it will be too plain. I think it might even be too plain w/ the pinstripe removed. ARG... decisions, decisions, decisions.

Also, I have a spray can of paint for my ex and clearcoat. Could I paint it myself? or do you think that wouldn't work out too well? I've only painted my tail covers... and that is a pretty hard thing to screw up on, so I dunno how I'd do w/ a whole bumper.

Originally posted by hydroxy
and what is this 'if we have time' business?! We're heading out early on thursday to get to your place early and have all day thursday to do work... I'll come and pack your place up myself if I have to.:D

Say what? Pledge, you don't tell me what to do! I don't know what you're talking about with this whole 'get up early on thursday' thing... My finals end at 945 wed morning, i plan on getting drunk twice on wednesday

Hokie, that is the first post I've seen that didn't have a smartass remark when referring to me

First and last punkass :p

well hopefully I'll be there with ya getting plastered. Is like 11 too early to leave?

I removed the pinstripe with photoshop, but I don't know how I should go about getting them to you.

I am also trying to repaint my bumper, and from what I understand, It is pretty difficult to do on my 99 because of all of the curves and crevices. I might have the shop paint it, but I will prep it.

I kinda agree on the too plain look, but if you do some body mods like an airdam, it wont be as boring. I helped remove the pinstripe and side molding on my friends 98, and I like it better.

you have a pm

It has been sent

If you want a good plastic repair/ filler, use this stuff called DuraMax (sounds like the name of a condom huh?) Its a 2 parts filler that is made for plastics and if I remember correctly, its flexible.

I believe you mean Dura-Mix we have a bunch of that at our shop.

I HATE that sutff it is a totall PITA.

For a scuff as thin as that just some Evercoat glaze.
I have been using that on bumper covers for years and have never had one come back.

ah yes, mura mix. if you use it, dont forget the rubber gloves!:mad:

Oh heck yeah, I had some 4040 on my hands for a month once !!!!!!!
4040 is great for broken clips and what not.

so I shouldn't use dura mix I take it?

I don't like dura-mix personally. Some people do.
I think it doesn't feather edge worth a crap.
I would recomend Evercoat Metal Glaze. It is just a thin body filler. Like I said, I have used it for years with out a come back.

Hey man I was in your neck of the woods Saturday night. Tysons actually. Well, near by at least.

For what it is worth.

actually I'm down in blacksburg right now going to va tech. It is a good thing you didn't try and look me up - I wouldn't have been home =P

Back