Finally thinking of finally beefing up my Exploder | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Finally thinking of finally beefing up my Exploder

Tanfoo

Reaction score
City, State
Richmond, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Explorer XLT V8 AWD
I've owned my Baby for almost 4 years now, and she was owned by my Mom for 4 years prior. She's a 98 Explorer XLT V8 AWD stock. Other than a few minor problems, she seems all right. I had to get the front differential taken out a few months back because of some cracking, but I plan to put it back in within the month.

After that, I plan to TT shackle 2" up and add 31s A/T on, then do a body lift in a few months and put on 33s. I'm relatively new to this, but my family has been into building up trucks forever. I've done a ton of research on this site and frankly I have to say I would have never imagined how informative one site could be.

Well, here's a question. I used to drive the hell out of my truck, and she's tipping 189k miles. Is it a mistake to start upgrading on such a used vehicle? Thanks for the input.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If it is in good running condition, it isn't that bad. Just expect things might fail, and be ready for it. If you are really serious, you could rebuild the engine, too.

Oh, and welcome to the site. It's a nice one.:D

Wow thanks for the quick reply. When you say rebuild the engine, are there any specifics you are referring to? Like I said, I'm still getting started here with learning all this, but I'm gaining momentum.

Is there a thread you could direct me to outlining an engine rebuild? Thanks again.

I am just thinking of things you could do, while you are working on the truck, so when it gets put together it will be running strong

welcome

Also, I'll be sure to post of picture of my Baby tomorrow.

Back