• Register Today It's free!

finally went wheelin!

ExporeRanger

Reaction score
City, State
Highland, Md
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 XLT
got my ex out tonight..kuz it got nice and muddy.. i too it to a construction site and i put her in 4wd..crept forward about 5 feet..and hit a mudhole..took it pretty easy into it and started to giv it gaas, then i spun em a lil on purpose to throw some mud up on her..she hasnt been muddy since i got her..lol..anyway..i went to go in reverse, and its makin a sound liek a turbo almost..spoolin up even with nto too much gas, the sound gets louder with the more gas i giv it..so i put it in drive and drive forward about 3 feet outta the hole, and thers a huge jerk from the front end and a CLUNK sound..what is this? did i do something rong orr? tell me wut to do here..the hole wasnt that bad..should i hav been in lower gears or something (kuz they werent necessary) btw i was in Drive when i was goin forward during all this..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

did the truck go back into 2wd okay?
How is it driving now?

I would guess you need to put the truck in 4x4 again and test it, in the dirt.

yeha went back in fine and drives fine now..i got auto hubs and auto t-case too

well I would test the 4x4 system, it may be a bad auto hub or u joint or more.
next time when you need it you want to make sure its going to work.
The 4x4 system should be used 2-3 times a year anyways to lubricate parts

alright i tested it yesterday..i tried shifting in a few differnt times...nuetral, park..in drive..i backed up 15 feet..and tried to lock it..i drove forward tried to lock it..it seemed to lock once..and it worked..but the rest of the times just made like a high pitch grinding wining sound..i also tried 4lo..shifted in when i was in nuetral..and it made a loud clunk and jerked a bit when it engaged..or tried to engage..any ideas on whats goin on? should i get some manual locking hubs? more reliable?.. i've got to have 4wd in this sploder

bump

manual hubs would be the first thing to do, espeically if the noise is coming from up front.

I would also confirm the shift motor is getting the t case into 4 low and 4 high by shifting it there, then remove the motor and see the position.

the noise if def comin out of right wher the hubs are..and it seems lie ther just not locking..wut kinda stuff would be invovled in manual lockers..and wher could i get some?

bump

Summit has milemarker hubs and conversion kit. They're cheaper than Warn, but I broke one the first time out. They sent me a new one no questions asked, so I'm still happy with them. All you do is take your wheel off, remove the auto cams, etc., remove the wheel bearing retainer nut, and replace with the nuts from the kit. Took about 30 minutes to do the first, little less for the second.

It would be nice to have a haynes/chilton manual, helps a lot, but MM includes decent instructions with the hubs. You will need a torque wrench that'll handle 16 in-lbs and one for 150 ft-lbs.

Edit: this is by no means complete insructions. you have to reuse some of the spacers and stuff from the original auto hubs, but the instructions tell you what you use and what you don't.

awesome..thanks lbarr..

Back