Finished Meguiar's 3 step... Zaino? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Finished Meguiar's 3 step... Zaino?

I just did the three step Meguiars (1. Clean, 2. polish, 3. carnauba wax)

It looks pretty good but I hear its not that long lasting.

I dont HAVE to have the xtreme shine I really just NEED wax on there that will protect it for a year since I am in college.

If I buy the zaino and put it all will the MANY HOURS I spent on this 3 step Meguair's be waisted?

Should I just go buy the turtle wax that claims 1 wax a year and put it over this?

I go to school at texas a&m (near houston) and it is hot and high uv rays. Also will have to park outside all day.
Im not going to have any time or place to wax my car at all so I want to get a solid wax on there before I leave to last me until next summer.

Am I alright with this carnuaba wax or will it just last a couple months?

THANKS!
Grant

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I purchased the 3M products from the local paint supply store. Hope this helps.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

I posted these on another thread, but here's a pic of my car with Zaino. I think I had three coats of Z5 and one coat of Z2 on it at the time:

Front4.jpg

Back2.jpg

Zaino will last about six months, more if there are more coats on there. I know from experience that it will survive a Michigan winter and protect the paint extremely well. When I was in college, I used to layer the coats on over the summer and then not do any in MI, and by May when I came back to CA, it was just about gone. One of the great things about Zaino is that the Z7 wash and the Z6 quick detailer really work well in helping maintain the shine and protection. For more info on Zaino, check out the link Billy suggested, or go to the Zaino Bros. website that Al posted.

Mike

I second the "lasting through a MI winter. I dont think anything is going to last a year but you can get 4 to 6 mos. out of a four coat Zaino job.
I have not tried Klasse but have used almost all other waxes and nothing compares in shine & durability to Zaino. Also the z-5 will cover your swirl markes.

You can easily get 6 months in the blue skys and ultraviolet rays of the Sunshine State.

Yeah...I also find that the Meguiars does not hold up in MI. After a month or two all that time and effort is shot. I will be switching. I just wish Zaino was in all the stores.

I'm curious how you all find time to put 4-5 coats of wax on your car?

It takes me forever to get 1 on there, like hours and hours.

How long should usually 1 good coat take? Including top.

The Meguiars made my explorer shine really well but it takes me forever to get all that carnuaba wax off each section that putting mulitple coats on just isnt going to happen time wise.

Thanks,
Grant

Originally posted by Fantasymon
I'm curious how you all find time to put 4-5 coats of wax on your car?

It takes me forever to get 1 on there, like hours and hours.

With Zaino, its simple. Takes me about 10 min to apply Z2 and maybe 5 to remove it and another 5 to spray Z4.

Its so easy its scary.....

Well I guess once I burn up my current bottle of Gold Class , I'll give the Zaino a shot.

Zaino isn't a wax it's a polymer. Waxes don't last as long as Zaino will. If you are going to but Zaino on you should wash your car with Dawn dishwashing soap first to get rid of all the wax so there is a better bond with the car's paint.

Just my 2 cents. I was told by a few detailers that polymers such as Zaino are not really good for the paint. I use a line of wax and other car car products from a place called Griots Garage. Does any one else now of this place and had any expericence with them. I'm really happy with their products.

I can attest to a couple of things here from my own experiences

turtle wax works well. It may be cheap, but it is tried and true and it works well.

3M products kick ass. Thier 4 step wax system is really killer and you can find it at good auto supply stores.

Zymol is good wax, expensive, but it has given me the best results so far.

I will try this Ziano stuff you guys are talking about.

Yes it does take a few hours to do a real 3 or 4 step wax job, but it is worth it, plus you get some exercise.

Nufinish is also an excellent product, you will find MANY detail shops use this stuff, I use it on my boat and it outlasts the other cheapo's like Meguires.

In Denver we have more sunny days and harsher UV rays than all ya'll (as Texan's would say) so it is important to use a good wax if you cherish your paint.
I wax my truck every 3months. Once in the spring I will use the cleaner/prep/wax system, then in the summer and fall it's just another coat of wax (x2). I usually apply two coats of wax every time by hand.

So there are probably 1000 different brands of wax that work great, it;s like octane boosters, if you read the back of the bottle, they are all the same thing.

Originally posted by XLT Xtreme
Just my 2 cents. I was told by a few detailers that polymers such as Zaino are not really good for the paint.

And may I ask, what are the reasons?

Thanks.....

see there is someone else out there that has herd the same thing... i know a guy that said he used to wax he caddy all teh time... till one day he saw the paint on his rag...

I was told by a reputable wax dealer that all the Polmers and silicone waxs are bad for the paint and just mask or hide inperfections. They also went to say that in the worst case they have seen. A polymer wax in the hot sun in cases will not let the paint breath and can even spider web the clear coat and paint. I was told any wax that is a polymer base including wax that has a a silcone base will not let the paint breath and expand or contract with the weather.

Guys, you can find all the answers at http//autopia.ws.

Zaino and Klasse are almost the same thing and they're polymers. Tell ya the truth, I love polymers based waxes because they're very durable. They usually last at least 6 months, that's way longer than the usual normal waxes that's sold in stores. But like I said, do some research at that website and you'll find out a bunch of stuff about everything.

I talked to a very knowledgeable person who told me he saw a jackalope chasing a unicorn. He couldnt catch them so I just have to take his word for it. Or do I?
I read everything I could find about Zaino and polymers in general and found nothing that lead me to believe that Zaino is gonna hurt my paint. I spend less time on my vehs. finish and it looks better than it ever did useing wax.
One happy Zaino guy......

Was just telling you guys what I have been told. Everybody has their preference. The wax I use is non silcone and polymer base and I have had it last 6 months. Also IMO the finish is just as clear and good as Zaino, plus cheeper. Just my 2 cents! :)

I'm still wondering how multiple coats of wax is bad for paint. For as long as I have been waxing cars, I have applied multiple coats of pure carnuba wax and none have had damage. Only a longer lasting life.

Back