Finishing up Timing Chain replacement | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Finishing up Timing Chain replacement

hfdff

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 explorer xls
Anyone have any advice on what to do before I run the truck. My thinking was to crank it over a couple times before I actually start it that way it will build some oil pressure before actual starting it.
Also I have one concern I was installing the fan clutch when I got it nice and snug it turned the crank counter clockwise to about the 10 to 11 o'clock position . I turned it back to a little pass TDC. I think I'm ok hopefully. I should of just called it a night.
Thx for the replies.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mine didn't fire up right away. Having been manually rotated a few times and leaving the plugs in. Make sure it turns by hand without any binding first. If the plugs are all in, you'll feel resistance at points.

I wouldn't worry about the reverse turn, once the cassettes are in I doubt there is even close to enough room in the timing to top out a piston on a valve.

As long as you filled a good quality filter with oil and your fluids are all topped up fire her up. I let mine idle for about 20 minutes so the tensioners could pressurize then I changed the oil and threw in a half a jug of seafoam to get rid of any excess grime. Changed it again after 200miles to synthetic.

I'm on my way to get oil and antifreeze and some vacuum hoses im going to change. thanks for the replies. If anyone has any more tips wuld be greatly appreciated. thanks for the replies Number4 and tech by trade.

Very frustrated

Let me give yall a little backgraound into why I did the timing chains on my parents explorer. It started because while my brother was borrowing their explorer it started running rough, come to find out the orginal manifold had two holes in it as you can see in the pics
20150211_172636[1].jpg

20150211_172644[1].jpg

I found a used intake manifold that was in good condition I looked it over before I purchased it. Their was nothing wrond with it. I was in the process of changing the manifold when I decided to change the valve cover gasketss and noticed that the rear timing chain loose and I could move one of the cassette arms.
So here we are I got this thing put together, it was running great no rough idling it was purring. I let run for at least 30 min before I decided to take it for a drive. While I was driving it I could hear a hissing sound, I thought maybe I left a vaccum hose disconnected. I also notice that when I try to accelerate faster than normal it doesnt want to shift like it should. Go back home look it over cant find nothing, but I do here a leak of some sort it sounded like it was coming from the driver side near the transmission.
I take it back out same results hear a hissing sound and doesnt shift normally upon acceleration. As I get down the road from my house I notice that its starts running rough the hissing is more noticable and as I park it wants idleing roungh. Pop the hood open I here the leak its at the intake manifold in the exact same place.
20150211_171229[1].jpg

What can cause this? Can the EGR cause this? The reason I say this its the only thing that blows hot gases in that area. I dont know
Sorry for such a long story . Thx for the replies. Please help:mad::mad:

That really sucks. Can't help. All I'll say, is don't put another manifold on until it's figured out.

Did a little research and found that a clogged cat could of caused this. If it was a clogged cat wouldn't I have notice this when I was letting it run before taking it out to drive. I guess it kinda of makes sense. What do yall think. Thanks for the replies.

anyone have any ideals what might have caused this besides the blocked cat.

thx

Yes, read that the only problem not sure I'll be able to run the explorer like that so I could check if the cats were actually clogged. The weird thing is that I didn't get any codes. I haven't checked to see if I have any pending codes I'll have to wait till tomorrow since I'm at work. Maybe I can plug the hole for now so I can always see if the cat was clogged.

Back