• Register Today It's free!

First brake job problems.

BlingNGasoline

Reaction score
City, State
Morristown, New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 Sport
I decided to do my front brakes myself for the first time. The pad closest to the engine fit fine, but the outside one would not go all the way back into the caliper like the old one did. I noticed that the new pads had tabs that the old ones did not. Here is a pic, what am I doing wrong?

0321071843-1.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They are supposed to have those tabs. I replaced my pads on my 98 a few times and they all had those tabs. they just pop into the groves. Just make sure there is no backing plate left on the caliper from the old pad.

Maybe you have the right mixed with the left or vice versa...i did and i felt like a dumbass.

im going out to the garage now for round 2

don't remember if mine had those or not but compare the old pads to the new ones you got, i've had plenty of situations where I've gotten wrong parts and didn't realize till i compared them back to back. If they're the right pads, make sure the grooves are clean in the caliper and often times i will actually touch the tabs on the pad with a grinder lightly to prevent sticking and to ease installation.

these definitely aren't going to fit.
There are no groves for them to fit into.

DSC03495.jpg

DSC03509.jpg

DSC03513.jpg

Time to head back to the part's store.

My 97 Mounty does not have those tabs on the top.

are those the ceramic pads from autozone?

they are ceramics from pep boys (prostop)

They admitted they were wrong and didn't have the right ones in stock, best they could do was a refund.

pep boys.... just as bad when it comes to getting the right parts lol, i've actually gotten to the point that i bring the old parts with me if i can because 7 out of 10 times i'm making a trip back.

I ordered some pads off rockauto.com...

After taking the old ones off again I realized they too gave me the wrong ones.

Whats so hard about picking the right ones??

Friend, you have a 2001+ Sport or Sport Trac. The brakes are different than the others. You have 12" rotors and different calipers, pads, and spindles. I expect that somehow you are being sold pads for 95-01 Explorers(except 2001 Sport).

I discovered those differences when upgrading my brakes. I have those spindles and rotors on my 1999 Limited, for the bigger rotors. Look at your calipers closely, compared to others from 95-01 Explorers, they do look slightly different.

Do buy the aftermarket pads, not those from local stores. Either buy Ford pads, aftermarket pads from mail order sources, or Hawk pads if available locally. Good luck,

Attachments

• SportTracRotor01.jpg
    SportTracRotor01.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 259

So does that mean that rotors from a 2002 Sport should fit mine also? Reason I ask is that I bought rotors off ebay advertised for a 2002 Sport/Sport Trac and they do not fit.

There are 2WD rotors and 4WD rotors for each model. The 2001+ body style of Sport and Sport Trac should all take the same rotor according to the 2WD/4WD type. So what is your truck, 2WD or 4WD? The 4WD rotors are just "hats", pictured above, the 2WD rotors have five studs plus the center hole for bearings.

There are 2WD rotors and 4WD rotors for each model. The 2001+ body style of Sport and Sport Trac should all take the same rotor according to the 2WD/4WD type. So what is your truck, 2WD or 4WD? The 4WD rotors are just "hats", pictured above, the 2WD rotors have five studs plus the center hole for bearings.

I have a 4wd. The rotors were advertised for a 2002 4x4.

For some reason I guess I'm not supposed to take the planned spring break road trip or something. Nothing is working out...

0410071753a.jpg

Were they advertised for a 2002 Sport or 2002 4 door.

If they were advertised for a 4 door that is your problem. Sports remained the same in 2002 but the 4 doors are the third generation Explorer & are a totaly different animal.

Were they advertised for a 2002 Sport or 2002 4 door.

If they were advertised for a 4 door that is your problem. Sports remained the same in 2002 but the 4 doors are the third generation Explorer & are a totaly different animal.

They were advertised for a 2002 sport/sport trac. Im thinking I got the wrong ones.

That's a better thing, for it's their mistake to correct. Contact them about replacing them with Sport/Sport Trac versions. Ask them for an RA number and having the wrong parts picked up by a shipper. Good luck,

Back