First experience at dealership service center | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

First experience at dealership service center

Gregr6

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer XLT/202A
Hey all
3 months ago I got a used Explorer from a dealership, via a salesman that is a great friend of a friend- he got me a low mileage 2014 XLT with the 202A equipment package at a very decent price.
I've only put about 4K miles on (has 18K now) but next week I'm going on a long road trip so I brought it in for it's first service. The vehicle is outstanding but one small issue- the bright lights point to outer space. The service agent said that had to be fixed in a separate department and the next available opening is in 3 weeks. Not good enough- this is a safety hazard, especially considering most of my trip will be on mountain roads with plenty of driving done at night. I leave in 9 days.
Should I just take it to my old [non-Ford] mechanic or is there any way to get them to squeeze me in? A 3 week wait is a deal breaker- can't see myself ever going back to the dealership with that kind of delay. I'd appreciate advice on this.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

3 weeks is insane. At most I wait 3 days at my dealer. Have you called others? You can go to your mechanic but Ford won't pay for that.

Haven't called others- I was hoping to be a loyal customer but the 3 week delay make it unlikely they'll be seeing much of me in the future. Part of me wants to deliver an ultimatum... fix it or never see me again. But that sort of thing almost never works the way you want it to.

i'd try another Ford dealer and maybe if you are so inclined give your dealer another chance on a later need/issue. If at that time they are still 3 weeks on bookings... maybe it's right to move on from that dealer.

You sure they are pointing to space?
I'm guessing you have standard halogen bulbs, which aren't very good in the first place.

Can you post any pictures with your vehicle facing a wall with the low beams on as well as the high beams? Preferably when you are 20-30 feet away so we can see how high they shine.

I know with mine, when I have the high beams on, it basically lights up not only the road ahead, but also high into the trees. The main focus is still almost straight ahead, but I do get a lot of light very high up and little to no additional light to the sides(that's my biggest gripe).

You could be right about that- I'm just going off what appeared to be happnening and I only tried it a few times as the high beams did nothing whatsoever to improve visibility- tried them, saw they failed and gave up. Taking and posting pics is more than I have time for- gonna be a busy week for me and I really just want to get this handled and handled quick. If I end up having to pay a regular mechanic I will.
My sales guy is trying to get the car into the recon dept instead of regular repairs but there are a couple other dealerships nearby I'll try too.
Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

Unless things have changed in vehicle design aiming the headlights should only be a 15 minute job.

But this is guessing that they aiming system is the same as it has been for years on older vehicles.

Haven't called others- I was hoping to be a loyal customer but the 3 week delay make it unlikely they'll be seeing much of me in the future. Part of me wants to deliver an ultimatum... fix it or never see me again. But that sort of thing almost never works the way you want it to.
Have you tried to adjust them yourself? The procedure is in the Owner's Manual.

Peter

I have not- and I will. Didn't occur to me but why the heck not?

Either you need little teeny tiny baby hands or you have to remove a bunch of that cowling in front. No time for that- to the dealership for warranty fix.

Sounds like a troll post. It takes 2 minutes to adjust the headlights. I had a 2014 XLT before I got my 2016 and it's a simple procedure.

Secondly, they don't point to outer space. You have the standard crappy headlights found on the 2014 XLT. Even the 2016 has lousy high beams. Just eh way Ford puts them together.

lol- no not a troll post. I took a look at the diagram and the actual headlights looking from the top down and I couldn't see any reference point to match the two. I saw a couple screws way down in there that weren't accessible without removing stuff.
I'd be grateful for any pointer on how to identify the adjustment screws- truly!
But I hear you on the crappy headlights statement. I replaced the regular bulbs with better ones (recommended here but I can't recall off the top of my head the model number) so regular beams are fine but the highs add zero illumination to the road- absolute zero. That makes me think it's more than just a bad design or bad parts. Does that make sense?

I just looked at my 2016 and checked out the owners manual and the adjusters are quite easy to get to.

Look in your owners manual under maintenance and it will give you some instructions on how to do it.

Did- in my manual it shows a small diagram that doesn't match reality.

I did a Google search on "adjusting headlights 2014 Ford Explorer" and came up with a lot of examples on how to do it.

Here is a video o how to do it. If you look down into the small hole that the screwdriver goes into to adjust the lamps you may or may not see a slot. Mine just has a tab that the phillips screw driver will move when you turn it.

Winner! I found the adjustment point- looks completely different from the video- not even close, but the shape of the adjustment housing gave me the clue I needed. It's so easy to adjust I'm blown away that Galpin couldn't do it while the Ex was being serviced serviced.
Halwg- they were indeed pointed as high as they can possibly adjusted.
Thanks JA for sticking with me :)

Glad that you got it.

Just in case someone else is having the same problem how about posting a photo of where the adjustment is located at.

The photo flattens the depth of field but the adjustment screw is down in there about 5" below and just to the right and left of where you see "horizontal". I used a flash in the top picture to make it stand out more. In ambient light it's kind of in a black hole. Ok enough excuses :laugh:
headlightadjls.jpg

headlightadjrs.jpg

Back