First oil change on the 14 Sport and a little review | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

First oil change on the 14 Sport and a little review

dave91gt

Reaction score
City, State
Kenna, WV
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Sport
Wanted to do the first one a little early-4300 miles. Had it since March 1st. I am trying the new Pennzoil Platinum from natural gas in both the Explorer and my 5.0 F150. I like the claim of cleaner pistons. I didn't know how hard it would be to change the oil and to my surprise it was actually a piece of cake. 3 thumbscrews to remove the shroud thing and the filter and drain plug are right there. Of course I poked around the engine bay and found the CAC pipe on the pass side was pushed out somewhat from the boot. I loosened the clamp and pushed it back in. I also tightened all hose clamps from the CAC to the air intake. All were looser than I expected.
I absolutely love driving this thing. It is the wifes daily and I drive a FX4 Screw that's leveled and running aftermarket wheels and 34" Trail Grapplers. I like my Fords! Anyway, only real issue with the Explorer was the NAV tracking off route. Did it the day I drove it off the lot. I disconnected the battery and it seems to have resolved it. Fuel mileage is actually respectable for our area- lots of hills (WV). Average for the first 4300 miles was 17.9 mpg. I use trip "B" as a measure of mileage for oil changes and fuel mileage. Best mileage in sustained driving was 21 mpg. Power is impressive for an SUV. The "hills" I was referring to on the interstate typically have lesser engines dropping gears to maintain speed. This thing just climbs hills in 6th and doesn't miss a beat. I have witnessed a rough idle at times when cold but no real issue so far. Kids love the 2nd row buckets and console. We downsized from an 08 Expedition and honestly haven't missed it. Average of 14 mpg and was gutless powerwise. Sorry for the long post. I tend to stay on F150 forums but wanted to jump in here and give some feedback.

Back