fitting 32's (comfortably) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

fitting 32's (comfortably)

Alright, here's the deal. I wanna get a 32 x 11.50 x 15's (either Mickey Thompson Baja Belted or BFG Mud Terrain's) on 15 x 8.5 (Ion Alloy Style 99). I was told that above an inch of lift, Torsion Twist is not a safe way to go. Will only an inch be enough for good clearance, and little (perferably no, but I understand that that is not going to happen) rubbing in the front? Will that look funny with 2.5" add-a-leaf in the back? Where's the best place to get all of this?

I'm trying to decide if it's worth all of the trouble for 32's (but I've got my heart set). If it isn't worth the trouble I'll settle w/ 31 x 10.50's on 15 x 7's....completely stock suspension and all, how would clearance be in this situation?

One last question....what's the mileage and noise look like on the Baja Belted?

Thanks a lot,
Tim

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I ran 31x10.5R15 BFG M/Ts on my stock rims with only 1/2" TT and 1" rear lift with warrior shackles. I only have MINOR rubbing in the front on my airdam, but I think the airdam on your 96 is shorter and alittle further out (was on my 98 Sport).
As far as milage, mine didn't change when I went to 31s and the BFGs were a little loud, but not offensively loud. Hope this helps you a little.

I have 31x10.5x15 bf goodrich. on my stock height 95 X I honestly think I could of gone with a 32" tire with no modifications.

i HAVE A 95 X and I really doubt I would be able to fit 32's on it and i have the add-a-leaf and the TT. I just got some ultra 15X8's and now my 31X10.5's rub.

It's worth it......

I have 32's on 8" wheels . 1.5"TT, 1.5" add-aleaf, rancho RS5000's , and trimmed the ft. corners on the airdam . It rubbed like crazy w/32's and none of the above mods. It rubbed quite a bit w/o the rancho's and now after all that is done it still rubs alittle in certian situations ... Worth it ? Hell yeah , just the looks alone make it worth it ! But if you have a mono leafspring , Don't use add-a-leaf , it wears down the stock real fast. When I installed mine I started out w/ 2.50" of lift within' a month it sagged 1" .... Hope this helps ......

Thanks a lot. I've decided to go with 31 x 10.50 Mickey Thompson's with out a lift. If the rub too much, I'll probably save up, sell those, and install a 2" body lift and put on 32's. Anyhow, I'll be getting them on tomorrow (hopefully), along with my tint. Thanks for the help on the decision making.

I have 32x11.5s on my X. And I can tell you, even with almost 4 inches of lift you still have to do a little bit of work so they don't rub. The tires barely, just barely touched they plastic fender splash shield at the rear. I just trimmed them a bit and took a heat gun and bent them back slightly. I also curled the edge of the fender in to make sure they wouldn't rub.
But in my opinion it was definitely worth doing the work. I'm super happy with the results after the lift and bigger tires. :)
Rick

Back