Kinda Bummed out.....should have gone bigger! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Kinda Bummed out.....should have gone bigger!

Stock 01 Sport

BFG 32 11.5 15's

AR Baja Chrome Wheels

Purchased these a week ago decided to see what *I* needed to do to get them to fit. Looks to me I don't really need to do anything but I was looking for a Off-Road look and to me that goal did not get accomplished. Maybe lifting the truck 2 inches might help. Also stock my truck came with 16" wheels, the wheels purchased are 15". There is not enough clearance between the rim and the caliper to even clear the stick on wheel weights. There around .125 clearance.

At full lock the inner tire just rubs the swaybar.

Maybe 33 x 10.5 would be perfect :)

Pics

exp1-vi.jpg

exp2-vi.jpg

exp3-vi.jpg

exp4-vi.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

:thumbsup: Looks fine to me. The clearance issue with the caliper isn't goodthough. Should get that fixed. Your wheels seemto stick out just as much as stockers. Cool!

EDIT: one more thing - I see all the tools and such you have on the ground - I really do hope you have a torque wrench around there somewhere! :eek:

it does look good! i wouldnt have gone any bigger then that or it would look out of proportion. as far as the caliper issue, its time to get out the dremel ;) you can clearance the calipers a little, but dont take to much out of them.

ExplorerDMB said:
:thumbsup: Looks fine to me. The clearance issue with the caliper isn't goodthough. Should get that fixed. Your wheels seemto stick out just as much as stockers. Cool!

EDIT: one more thing - I see all the tools and such you have on the ground - I really do hope you have a torque wrench around there somewhere! :eek:

Torque Wrench???? Who needs a torque wrench..............my arms calibrated :)

Yes I have one set to 100 ft lbs for these wheels.

Mac

WTF!! If I get the 16" wheels to gain some caliper to rim clearance the backspacing goes from an Ideal 3.75" to 4.5" I just can't win! Spacers?

Mac

I think it looks good. You should be able to dremmel our a little bit of the caliper and be OK. I would not take more than 1/4 inch off, less if you can get away with it. I would stay away from spacers unless you get the kind that bold to the caliper with lug nuts, not the shim kind that go between the wheels and the caliper. The drawback to the bold up kind is that you may have to cut your lugs a little shorter to be able to get your wheels back on. Depending on the depth of the spacer and the shape of the back of your wheel.

The tires actually look pretty good. Some bolt-on 1" or 1.25" spacers for the rear wheels would help the stance. IMHO its the wheels that kinda don't look right on there. I think larger wheels would help...or maybe a different style.

33s would look good but probably a tight fit at that ride height.

Well I'm kinda stuck on what to do.

Town Fair tires claims the can't get me any 16 x 8 in the same wheel in chrome but they do have polished. They state AR doesn't even have any. Also there making it like I can't return these wheels stating thats why they test fit the rims for clearence before they mount the tires because once they mount tires the wheels are non returnable. It would have been nice if the dumb ass I asked if I could pick the wheels up and mount them myself mentioned any of that!

Anyway here I am with these rims that fit but have minimal clearance between the rim and caliper as the sports have 12" rotors. I only have around .100 clearance and stick on weights are unusable and bang on weights are out of the question!

My options seem to be to ***** to get these returned or pay $280+ more to get the POLISHED 16 x 8's and some BFG 285/75R16's. The only suck part about the 16" wheels is the fact they have 4.5" backspacing which puts the rim .250 farther in than stock. I would need to purchase some 1.25 spacers which I found on Ebay for $55 a set. Hmm don't know about spacers!

Mac

Nothing wrong with spacers, as long as you don't go crazy and add like 2-3 inches worth. I ran them on my 250 when I got new tires and rims, for the same reason you need them... throw some spacers on and a 2" BL and that thing would look mean. :thumbsup:

I stuck with the wheels an tires pictured. I had Town Fair Tire static balance the wheels and tires with bang on weights only on the inside lip and they seem fine. Now I need to see how much I want to lift the truck and figure out which way I will lift the back. I really want new leafs such as the expensive Old Man Emu OME36 springs or the Canadian Carrier springs.

How much lift did you guys get installing the Pro Comp single add a leaf?? I can't stand the sight of hanging shackles so the warrior 153's are out for me.

Mac

Go with Carrier, thats what I have and I will be buying from them again if I ever need new springs. I went with the 2" lift springs. You also have to decide whether you want "flexy", soft-cushy ride, or "standard", buck board wagon ride. They called me to find out what I wanted or needed. I don't tow anything so I went with flexy. Thats my 2 cents, Later - Nate.

Before and After

Here is a Before and After of what my rig looks like. In the After shot the TT wasn't quite right yet, but that is 2" worth of lift. My next tires are going to be 33s.

Attachments

• before.jpg
    before.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 313
  • after.jpg
    after.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 330

Here the truck is *Clean* :)

Next I think I will order some Carrier +2 Springs today. For now the suspension is stock with NO Torsion twist but I do have an Air Ride setup in the rear to pick up the saggy ass end and inch or so.

IMG_2017-vi.jpg

IMG_2018-vi.jpg

It looks alot better cleaned up.

yes sir it does look better cleaned up. Now go get it dirty agian :)

i like the look, kinda like a safari look. i guess your looking for a baja or rock crawler look tho.

Back