Wanted - Fix for 1996 front door sticking issue. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wanted Fix for 1996 front door sticking issue.

Parts or services wanted

salsaman43

Reaction score
City, State
Orange CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
96' XLT
My wife owns a 1996 Ford ExplorerLimited Eddie Bauer Edition.
The air conditioner doesn't work, the front doors do not open easily. The passenger door will open if we power the window open and pull the outside latch. The driver side is beginning to have the same problem. Is there an easy fix? Please advise...

My wife owns a 1996 Ford ExplorerLimited Eddie Bauer Edition.
The air conditioner doesn't work, the front doors do not open easily. The passenger door will open if we power the window open and pull the outside latch. The driver side is beginning to have the same problem. Is there an easy fix? Please advise...

a/c might need to be recharged or the compressor is out. as for the doors the latches might be a stuck. try sparyin them down with some wd40 or rust eater. if the ac compressor is bad im sorry to tell ya but that is a costly fix.

With the A/C, look carefully at all the hoses, I blew a hose b/c of the sepentine belt apparently was rubbing it.
So you might need to get new interior door handles if they are too bad. Some times the stuff in the handle wear out and or break so they need to be replaced. You would have to take off the interior door panel, which isnt hard, two screws and a bunch off "christmas tree" clips/door panel clips. You can get a special tool to remove those so you don't break them. Then comes the hard part. You'll have to lift the door panel straight up then unplug the door panel wiring. There's only one screw holding the actual door handle assembly on from the inside. And you slide off the door handle, put the new one on, and reassemble.

Back