Fix it or sell it?

LiKuiD

bahhhhhhhhh
Reaction score
City, State
Hillsborough, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 EB
So I have a 94' that I picked up last year as a 'project' truck. Needed a little loving...had to replace just about everything in the front end which is all good now...seems to drive pretty good. 4x4 works, tranny shifts fine, etc.

But now there's definetely a bad head gasket (possibly cracked head). At this point, i'm afraid if I replace the gasket it'll just be something else down the road and this will be a total bust. Paid $1500 for the truck but wondering if I should just call it quits and cut my losses...

Repairing a head gasket is well out of my league and you can guess how much local shops want to replace them. Granted it's a project truck I feel like I spend more time working on it then driving it.

Thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is it the 98 XLT V8 under your avatar, or a different truck? And what are some quotes you've gotten for replacing the head gaskets & checking the heads?

I personally wouldn't replace the head gaskets without checking it over, if you're a back yard mechanic its capable to do, but I myself would try finding a used motor and replace the motor and continue fixing it up but its all in what you intend to use the truck for IF you fix it.

That was my old truck I sold...I need to change that.

Quotes are looking btw $1500-$2000...which is waaay more then i'd go for.

The truck is really just a beater used for driving when the weather is too bad for my Charger...but a beater that needs to be able to drive to and from work :rolleyes:

I'll take a look at some engine replacements just for kicks...but I have a feeling it'll be in the same price range.

Do I hear another 5.0 swapover? Theres a project for your project truck.

Time to man up and do that head gasket yourself. Engine is shot anyways. You can't make it worse. How hard can a head gasket be anyways.

I was thinking that too...but the best place I have to work on it is in a condo parking lot :rolleyes:

How about a used engine swap?
Find a friend with a garage/front yard you can use, borrow a cherry picker and just get a good/used engine without a bunch of miles on it.

I think fixing the head gasket (as long as there isn't a bunch of damage to the heads) would be well worth learning to do and actually doing. You put work into fixing the front end and 4x4, a head gasket (when done properly) shoudl help lengthen the life of the vehicle for a long long time.

Having the place to work on it is a problem. Maybe a friend has a place you could use or something. Might be able to find a pull your own part type wrecking yard and get a head if you need one also.

I hear you pain. Doing a Head Job on many cars is not bad. But they crammed the AC too close to the exhaust manifold, as well as just making the Engine Bay way too tight.
My '91 is the Newest car I own and between Clamped on Harnesses everywhere and other plumbing not well thought out, teh X is the toughest to work on.

Aye..thanks guys!

I think im gonna keep her and give fixing it a shot. Theres alot of awesome people on this forum that are willing to help so hopefully we can get her all buttoned up and hit some trails!

Will keep yous posted...

i was in same situation with a 91 that i paid $700 for. i fixed the head gasket and have been running it for over a year now. just an fyi, the donor engine that i bought last month to rebuild for this truck was only $200 and after tearing it down it was in excellent shape; you can get a good used motor for cheap.

To bad about your 'work shop' situation, but a project truck is the perfect one to learn on. If you are really serious about learning, pull the motor and tear it down yourself. The best way to learn is by doing. Just make sure you mark everything and get a Factory service manual. Not a haynes or chiltons but the one for your year truck. You can get them on ebay.

Machine shops and garages can check stuff and take apart the big stuff for you, and you may have to purchase small specialty tools like pullers and such.

The only limiting factors are cash flow and space, look around your area. There are companys that rent out garage bays, ones you can work in. I know quite a few guys that do this. You just cannot run a business out of them. Don't be afraid to spend money either, i am planning on about $20,000 to retore my old Bronco, but its going to be over two or more years and its being perfectly redone and modified for a powerstroke Diesel and one ton suspention.

Good luck with your project, keep us posted.

If it is a project truck, and not a daily driver, do the work yourself. Best way to learn is to just do it. I've done almost everything automotive, so when I got a 94 EX last spring with a dead A4LD, I decided to rebuild it myself. I only paid $350 for the truck which otehrwise was in pretty decent shape. $400 or so in parts and lots of referencing this site, and the trans has run over 12,000 miles since then.

Take your time, walk away for it when your patience wears thin. You will be surprised what you can do...

I say fix it...then look for a long block to build what you want...saying that after i just did the head gaskets on my 95 corvette...now that that is done i am working on my explorer...priorities ya know

Thanks for the advice guys...I decided to keep her and give the repairs a shot....i'll keep ya posted on what happens!

Great! Another explorer lives on!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for the advice guys...I decided to keep her and give the repairs a shot....i'll keep ya posted on what happens!

DUDE!!!! Get rid of the POS!!!!!!! I have a 91 that is a fukin money pit. It started with a IAC to fix a rough Idle. I now have 2 maxed out credit cards, bad MAF, Dead Battery, A/C Compressor puked, Blown Head Gasket( I got a freaking Long Block), leaking Power Steering pump, Starter Fried, Alternator bearing took a dump, Plastic Radiator cracked, Then the front end troubles started, wasted ball joints, bad u-joints, Steering gear puked, Then last month the fukin tranny pukes. These boats are hunks of ****. Do what I'm doing sell the FukedOverRoadDisaster and get a Jeep.

Right now I have over $8,000 tied up in my POS Explorer and it STILL runs like ****. Never have been able to get the trash heap to idle smooth and steady. If you want a project buy mine http://mohave.craigslist.org/cto/1565846271.html, you will get to work on it every day. Its time for all the rebuild parts I have in it now to start taking a ****. BTW tough times means I'M TIRE OF FIXING THIS POS.

Back