• Register Today It's free!

fix or replace 96?

ssjk

Reaction score
City, State
Herndon, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 Eddie Bauer
Have a 1996 Eddie Bauer 6 cyl with 150K. Engine is strong but there is some rust and a number of things are breaking. I've had it since it was a pup so I'd like to hold on, but my skills and money are limited. Have replaced shocks, brake lines, brakes, alternator etc over the years - but don't do complex engine or any electrical work myself.

Here's what's broke.

1 AC is shot although climate control electronics are good. Probably accumulator, maybe compressor.

2 Radio (high end at the time JBL unit) buzzing like crazy randomly. All speakers. Amplifier unit?

3 four wheel drive is now rear only. Dealer said something I could not interpret about some electric or vacuum operated valve that they don't make any more that was used only on 95/96 explorers to shift on the fly.

That's it. Fix em and it's good for another 50K I think. Any thoughts on whether it is fixable by me or by a garage at reasonable cost? Thanks in advance.

the 4WD has a few solutions

Swap the front axle for one from a V8 or 97+ that has the same gears (really big project, but doable) this would give you a live axle and hurt your gas milage

or go to a junk yard and find the part on a junked 95-96 V6 model. make sure to buy the guarantee or spare units because odds are other trucks had them go bad too.

or you could do a solid axle swap :)

basically the 95-96 V6 explorers had a vacuum actuated axle disconnect, I think there's like a smaller pumpkin on the passengers side or something that disconnects the passengers side axle then the driver's side just spins the differential. I imagine there's a solenoid and a controller somewhere to turn the vacuum pressure on and off

I had my AC done once. they replaced the evaporator core and a bunch of hoses, cost me $500, but then I proceeded to drop 40K miles on the truck and the AC still runs strong

it's an investment in yourself, especially if yo plan to run it into the ground

oh yeah and the radio sounds like either the AMP or a faulty ground somewhere

Those problems are all simple fixes, and if you do them yourself wont cost much either. i'd definitely keep it, unless you're just looking for an excuse to buy a new car.

Back