Fix or replace engine on 1998 Explorer | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fix or replace engine on 1998 Explorer

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just my opinion -- as others have said -- it doesn't sound like this engine is ruined, I think the backfire/intake gasket theory is the most solid. Even if you have a shop do the repair it shouldn't be SUPER expensive (although shops these days have ridiculous labor rates)

Even if the replacement motor is 100k miles, there's no guarantee it will be in perfect condition. You may end up chasing down other issues - i.e. has this 100k mile engine been well cared for? Are you going to replace the gaskets on it, also? That's more $$$. Also keep in mind, that if the replacement motor is not the exact same year/configuration you may have minor but annoying compatibility or fit issues to deal with. Not sure if this applies to this specific motor, but based on my experience in the past with swapping motors there are usually some minor things. For example I am pretty sure the SOHC motors from 4WD vehicles had an extra balance shaft -- not sure how this affects fit/function in a 2WD vehicle.

pretty sure the SOHC motors from 4WD vehicles had an extra balance shaft -- not sure how this affects fit/function in a 2WD vehicle.
Correct
But the balance shaft will not affect a 2Wd

And lack of a shaft in 4WD doesn’t matter either.

What was the (stated) purpose of the shaft then?
Not sure, but I’ve put 115k on an engine without a balance shaft thus far. Was never able to tell the difference.

I am not so knowledgeable in the SOHC's, but I would check vacuum, and suspect IAC valve, and MAP sensor...or whatever the translation is from OHV to SOHC. Maybe get the intake smoked. It's a really nice truck IMO, I would sink a good bit of time and bucks to make that right.

Back