FJC2's 2014 Explorer Sport Blog-like thing | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

FJC2's 2014 Explorer Sport Blog-like thing

fjc2

Reaction score
City, State
MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Sport
I recently picked up a 2014 Explorer Sport, and thought I'd create a thread that I'll update over time with my experience with it. Not that me or my Explorer are special or anything, but I thought maybe it might be of interest to some.

I ordered my Explorer Sport in mid-December 2013, and originally it had a build date of Jan 15th with an estimated delivery date of the week of the 20th. From what I've been told, it actually was built on the 17th. However, it apparently got caught up in that stop/ship due to some sort of vibration issue, and I didn't actually receive it until Feb 24th. So as of this first post, I've had it just slightly over a week.

I ordered it in Ruby Red with the 401A option package, and also got the all-weather floor mats. Atypical of my normal behavior, I also opted for a six-year, 75K Ford PremiumCare ESP extended warranty. Bought the warranty through my dealer, who came close to price matching an online quote I had gotten through one of the online retailers.

Mine must have been one of the ones used in testing out the issue for that stop/ship, as it had 105 miles on it from the factory - along with a factory quality inspector sticker indicating that it was used in quality checking. Some might balk at a new car with 105 miles on it, but it causes me no concern - I figure if they put that many miles on it testing it out, they'd notice and fix any other issues.

Speaking of which, in the short time I've had mine it has been flawless. No rattles, no issues, fit/finish is perfect. Drives fantastic - so much fun to hit that pedal and have it just slam me into my seat. An engineering buddy of mine told me that during the break-in period you want to "drive it like you stole it but don't redline it" to seat the rings, and that's what I've tried to do. Way more fun than a heavy SUV should be, but then again that's why I got the Sport. :) I'm showing about 17.4MPG so far, but that's all city driving and with a lot of time idling while I play with settings and such.

I've had it back to the dealer for service once - to have the Ford Remote Access (cell-phone based) remote start/security system installed. They did that in an afternoon and it is working great.

Only picture I have of it so far is this cell phone picture - when the weather warms up and I can detail it, I'll get out the good camera and get some serious pictures.

afRTE5L.jpg

I'll post more when I think of more to comment on, and/or when some more time passes!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Congrats! Great color on the Sport with the black trim front, rear and top IMO.

Congrats on the new purchase! I also have the Ford Remote Access starter and I love it! I installed it myself and then brought it to the dealer to have it programmed and one of the service advisors questioned "why would you want that?" lol. I said infinite range. It's already proved itself. My wife took the Sport and locked the keys in the truck and her phone wasn't able to log onto the app so she called me to unlock the doors and I was 30 miles away lol Pretty awesome if you ask me. The Sport is incredible in the snow too. We live in Buffalo and have gotten our fair share of snow this year for sure. Best vehicle I have ever owned. You are gonna love it.

I recently picked up a 2014 Explorer Sport, and thought I'd create a thread that I'll update over time with my experience with it. Not that me or my Explorer are special or anything, but I thought maybe it might be of interest to some.

Thank you so much for starting this thread! I just placed an order for a Sport myself on Feb 23, and am eagerly looking forward to delivery. In the meantime, reading experiences like yours are just the thing to get through the wait! Please keep posting about your experience with your new Sport, and all the stuff you like (and don't like) about it! And yes please, pictures too!

Looks like you're in Michigan - how's the Sport doing with the snow and ice and cold weather? Finding any need for additional traction or are the standard wheels/tires doing fine? How about the seat heaters - do they get nice and toasty reasonably quickly?

Have you taken it for any particularly fun drives? What did you like most about the drive?

Oh and congrats on your new Sport! Bet you couldn't tell I'm excited for you. ;)

Thank you so much for starting this thread! I just placed an order for a Sport myself on Feb 23, and am eagerly looking forward to delivery. In the meantime, reading experiences like yours are just the thing to get through the wait! Please keep posting about your experience with your new Sport, and all the stuff you like (and don't like) about it! And yes please, pictures too!

Thanks! Yeah, I need to take more pictures of it, but it's already dirty from the snow/salt. Perhaps I should just take some "in the wild" pictures of it as it will likely look most of the time in Michigan winters, covered with salt. :)

Looks like you're in Michigan - how's the Sport doing with the snow and ice and cold weather? Finding any need for additional traction or are the standard wheels/tires doing fine?
It's been fantastic so far. We got around 6 inches of snow last weekend, and the drive to church Sunday morning in that snow was fine. If I really got on it on a curve I could get it to slide a bit, but that was only when I tried hard. I was worried about these tires in the snow but now not so much.

How about the seat heaters - do they get nice and toasty reasonably quickly?

Seat heaters are doing great. They seem to be much faster at heating up the seats than the ones I had in my 2010 F-150. When leaving work I use my remote start and the driver's seat is very toasty when I get to my car.

Have you taken it for any particularly fun drives? What did you like most about the drive?
No particular drives just for fun, mostly in the 10 days I've had it so far it has just been some errands and commuting to work. It is dang fun to drive, though, let me tell you! You'll be amazed at how nimble and quick the Sport is for its size! The intersection near my subdivision isn't particularly busy - when I can stop there when it is ice/snow free and no cars around, it never ceases to thrill me when I stomp on that accelerator when the light changes. The Sport just SURGES forward. I'm not sure the Mustang I had years ago was this much fun!

My wifes is on the way. Red Sport with 401 + sunroof. Should be at dealers next week. I just emailed asking about the cell phone remote start. My wife works a bit far from the parking lot and no way keys would start it from the distance, so figured it would be a cool option. She has a 2012 Explorer Limited now. She's a little upset that she had to give up her powerfold third row. Of course, it was me pushing for the Sport.

Funny, I have hemi-powered 2013 Jeep GC Altitude Edition, which is cool and I like how it looks, but this car is going to be faster and more fun to drive. Hmm. Maybe I can switch with her!

Hey Folks
we've had our 14 Sport since December & we really love it.

The one significant issue is with the navigation system & I'm wondering if anyone else has seen the same problem.

Quite often the arrow showing where we are on the road is in a bush, on water or otherwise off the road completely. It's gotten to be quite frustrating. I've tried pulling the sd car, turning of the car & putting it back in which works for a short period of time but it is beginning to get frustrating.

Any thoughts?

My service guy told me when I was there for the remote access that there's a TSB for that navigation issue. I didn't get the number for it, though. I haven't seen the problem myself, but admit I haven't used the nav system much yet.

Back