2014 Explorer Sport Issues | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2014 Explorer Sport Issues

SMUstang

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Sport
Hello all. I've been a lurker here for a while since I was doing research on Ford Explorers earlier this year. I pulled the trigger back in June and bought a 2014 Sport, which was probably one of the last few they had on the lot. It was at another dealership and already had 55 miles on it, I guess from being test driven there. Looking back I should have just waited and ordered a 2015, but I was excited for my first brand new car and went with the 2014 since I was able to negotiate a good price and had a coupon that was good for 2014 models only. I am now about 2600 miles in, and am starting to regret my purchase.

There are a number of issues that I have noticed with the car, many of which have been discussed on here by other owners. Here's what I've noticed so far:

• Buzzing from windshield when driving on the highway at high speeds or during wind. I'm pretty sure this is the same cowl issue that others have had, because it is visibly warped. I didn't notice it during the test drive before I took it home but on my first highway trip a few days later I could hear it the whole way.
  • There is sometimes a loud clank or pop coming from the front axle when I turn the steering wheel. I haven't figured out how to reliably reproduce this, but it seems to happen most when I'm backing out or pulling into my driveway and I'm on a slope or an incline with some tension on the left wheel. When I turn the steering wheel, I can feel some tension and then there is a loud pop, and I can actually feel the tension break in the steering wheel. This started a few weeks in; some days it never happens and other times it happens multiple times while I'm driving.
  • Mildew smell coming from the AC vents. This is ridiculous. My family has had 10 Fords since 1993 and only one of them has developed a smell like this from the AC, and that was after driving it for 12 years. I have to turn AUTO off on the AC and just run it on vent for several minutes before I shut the car off, otherwise it smells like mildew the next time I start the car.
  • Rattle from the front passenger door handle. This started a few weeks in also. Any vibration in the road, and even bass from the stereo while the car is sitting still, is enough to make the door handle rattle. I know it's the door handle because if you pull it out slightly the rattle goes away.
  • Steering wheel Easy Entry feature doesn't work 1/5 of the time. I noticed this once or twice the first month I was driving the car, and it has now become a regular thing. Probably 1 in 5 times I start the car, the steering wheel stays in the upright position and I have to press my memory button on the door to get it to go back to my saved setting.
  • I think the passenger seat might also be rattling, but it's hard to tell with the other rattles.
  • Carpet in the cargo area is coming unglued. I pulled on the edges of the carpet in the back a bit and found out that it wasn't even stuck down; I could see the glue spots underneath the carpet.

This is my first new car, and these issues have just made it so frustrating. I notice all of these small things and am so disappointed in the quality of the car. I love driving it; the handling and acceleration are great, but these bugs have ruined the experience for me. Is it wrong to expect that an almost $50,000 car shouldn't have these kinds of problems?

I guess my question is do I have any recourse here? I haven't taken the car in to the dealership to get it fixed yet because I've enjoyed driving it otherwise and I haven't had the time to deal with it. Based on other peoples' experiences here, I also expect it will probably take multiple trips to the dealer to get everything resolved, which is going to be a huge pain in the ass. I almost feel like Ford should give me some money back or let me trade it in for a new 2015. Has anyone had a similar experience with multiple things going wrong on their brand new car?

It seems to me that these issues are dealer 'fix' issues. Take it back at your earliest convenience to have then addressed. You can also contact the Ford service rep who monitors this forum Her name is Crystal (FordService) and you can use this link to contact her via Private Message; http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/private.php?do=newpm&u=157968
When you PM, be sure to include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership in your message.

There are members who have had multiple issues just as there have been members who have not. Not sure why some seem to be 'jinxed'. I had one issue with my 2011 Limited and so far none with my MKT.

Peter

People forget that a vehicle is made up of literally thousands of parts and pieces. It's a testament to the auto makers that the design and build has gotten so good nowadays that people think all they have to do is drive one off the lot and they will be perfect. The reason there are warranties is because small issues are bound to occur with something this complex.

Obviously a lot of folks on here don't remember buying vehicles in the 60s, 70s, and 80s, when things going wrong were the norm. You just made a list, and took it to the dealer on the next service, which were MUCH more frequent than today's 7,500 - 10,000 mile oil changes.

I think the manufacturers deserve a lot of credit for getting it pretty much right with something so very complex.

...I guess my question is do I have any recourse here? I haven't taken the car in to the dealership to get it fixed yet because I've enjoyed driving it otherwise and I haven't had the time to deal with it...

Welcome to the forum, SMUstang! Peter's suggestions are great ones; getting your Explorer in to your dealership is the best next step. I'll alert your regional customer service manager (CSM) to your concerns so they can assist in resolving them. Just send me a private message (PM) with the info he listed (full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership) so I can get the ball rolling. :thumbsup:

Crystal

Back