• Register Today It's free!

2014 Sport, no boost

MikeT65

Reaction score
City, State
Clarksville, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Sport
Was travelling on the interstate the other day when my 99k-mile Sport suddenly lost power and started making a loud noise under the hood when I'd accelerate. Managed to feather it back home, got in my shop and looked for any loose hoses. After 2 hours, couldn't find anything loose, so I fired it back up and it started smoking out of the left pipe. Verified oil and coolant level, both were fine. Then I investigated some more and decided to disconnect and pull off the easiest hose I could get to on the front turbo (see pic below). Well, oil started pouring out of this hose when I pulled it off the turbo housing. All these symptoms make me come to the conclusion that the front turbo has blown an oil seal and is leaking into both that hose and through the exhaust which is causing the smoking, and has also seized or is nearly there. Has anyone had a similar issue? I've got an appointment with the dealer next week and hoping that it won't be crazy expensive. I've already had the water pump replaced at a cost of $2100, along with new tires, front brakes/rotors, spark plugs, and three new coils.

turbo pic.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Could be pricey. Here is the differences in prices I found. $1053 from Ford and $637 from the other 2 dealers.

Peter

Could be pricey. Here is the differences in prices I found. $1053 from Ford and $637 from the other 2 dealers.

Peter

Thanks, Peter, for the info. I looked around as well and found the same price variation. It's already dropped off at the dealer and I dread hearing the repair quote. I talked to a friend who's a salesperson at this dealership and am prepared to trade it off as soon as it's fixed. I really like the Sport, but it's costing me too much ☹. I would warn anyone that's in the market for a used Sport to avoid the high mileage ones because a seemingly good deal at first will come back to bite you in repair bills.

Also, previous to posting, I searched this forum and couldn't find any posts with a similar issue (very surprising), so will report back the results of the diagnostic and pics of the turbo if it actually turns out to be faulty.

If you are looking to trade it Mike, why not see what the salesman can do for you before you get it repaired? They may be able to repair it for less if it is traded in and recipe some of the cost in selling it. Mind you, they may also figure in some of the repair cost on your next deal.
There are threads of Sports losing power but they were turbo connection coming loose.

Peter

Peter, that's actually what I'm doing. They were going to give me a trade-in quote, but wanted a diagnosis of the problem first before committing to it. They stated that they would give me options after the service dept took a look at it.

When I said that I couldn't find any related threads, I meant that I did find some about loose hoses, smoking, and losing power, but couldn't find a thread with all 3 issues at once or any describing oil pouring out of the wrong places. Some threads were also open-ended with no reported resolution, so I am going to buck that trend by providing as much info as possible along with pics.

Some threads were also open-ended with no reported resolution, so I am going to buck that trend by providing as much info as possible along with pics.
Thanks Mike. Open-ended threads are a problem here, unfortunately. It's not uncommon for someone to start a thread or say they will update and then never be heard from again.:(

Peter

Well, the dealer verified what I suspected; left side (front) turbo is bad. They quoted me $1060 for the turbo, and $650 for replacement of the catalytic converter on that side (due to it being internally soiled by the oil blow by). Add in the labor cost and the repair quote is $3200. My friend the salesperson came up with some great numbers for a 2020 F-150 that I was interested in, but the 'as-it-sits' trade in quote for my broken Explorer was very low (as expected). Even with the best quoted deal, there's just too much loss I'll be taking on the vehicle. So, I'm just going to do the repair myself and go from there. Pics coming as soon as I get time to dig into it.

Well, the dealer verified what I suspected; left side (front) turbo is bad. They quoted me $1060 for the turbo, and $650 for replacement of the catalytic converter on that side (due to it being internally soiled by the oil blow by). Add in the labor cost and the repair quote is $3200. My friend the salesperson came up with some great numbers for a 2020 F-150 that I was interested in, but the 'as-it-sits' trade in quote for my broken Explorer was very low (as expected). Even with the best quoted deal, there's just too much loss I'll be taking on the vehicle. So, I'm just going to do the repair myself and go from there. Pics coming as soon as I get time to dig into it.
Man, hate to hear this, I just went through this! My 14 Sport had the rear turbo go out, replaced both with new center cores, cheaper than a whole turbo by the way. Then 2 weeks later, rod knock, just dropped a 10k mile motor in it and shes running like a champ again. The only issue I have is that dang mystery shudder in 6th gear that ford says is normal hahah. Good luck!

Man, hate to hear this, I just went through this! My 14 Sport had the rear turbo go out, replaced both with new center cores, cheaper than a whole turbo by the way. Then 2 weeks later, rod knock, just dropped a 10k mile motor in it and shes running like a champ again. The only issue I have is that dang mystery shudder in 6th gear that ford says is normal hahah. Good luck!

I had no idea that there was any option aside from complete replacement of the entire unit; I'll have to check into that. Did you do the work yourself? How many miles on yours? Ever had your water pump replaced prior to the engine swap? Luckily, my engine is not showing any signs of internal troubles (aside from the water pump) and also never noticed any 6th gear shudder. I see that you're in the same town. What color is yours?

I did, I pulled the turbos and swapped out the centers in my driveway. Not to bad of a job but definitely not fun. I had the water pump and timing chain replaced back in February. I was getting a code and it correlated to a loose chain. Mines a black 14 sport. Here is a cartridge to get an idea.

Right Side Turbo CHRA Cartridge for Ford Flex Taurus SHO Ecoboost 3.5L V6 2010- | eBay

Ok, thanks for the info, I'll remember it if the rear one goes bad. Got a front one coming tomorrow from a Ford dealer in Michigan. Didn't expect the turbos to be having issues at 99K miles; was hoping the technology got better on them from the ones in the past, but doesn't look like it. The water pump replacement set me back $2300 (dealer says the timing chain was fine), so hopefully this is the last major repair. What mileage is yours at?

Ok, thanks for the info, I'll remember it if the rear one goes bad. Got a front one coming tomorrow from a Ford dealer in Michigan. Didn't expect the turbos to be having issues at 99K miles; was hoping the technology got better on them from the ones in the past, but doesn't look like it. The water pump replacement set me back $2300 (dealer says the timing chain was fine), so hopefully this is the last major repair. What mileage is yours at?
Mine was at 112,500 miles when issues started. Hopefully I'm good for another 100k now haha.

Finally got the front turbo replaced. This is what I found:

Turbine wheel video
Compressor wheel video

Considering the massive play in the shaft, it's surprising that it worked as long as it did.

The fins have been damaged by contact with the housing:
Old compressor wheel.jpeg

New turbo from Ford:
New compressor wheel.jpeg

I found the oil line filter full of metal shavings, which likely caused the oil starvation in the turbo (there was a lot more shavings on it, but I accidentally dropped it before the pic):
Old oil line filter.jpeg

New filter and oil line:
New oil line filter.jpeg

I'm thinking that the metal shavings may have come from debris left over from when the water pump was replaced a few months ago.

After replacing the turbo, the throttle response has improved a bit, whereas there was some slight lag before. The just-off-throttle lag started a few thousand miles after getting the Explorer back from the water pump replacement. It was slight, so I wasn't too concerned with it enough to complain. As it turns out, it may have been the start of the oil starvation that took out the turbo. A few folks online suggest leaving this filter out because it causes more harm than good. I went ahead and installed the new one anyway, along with a new oil line.

Now, got to check the rear turbo shaft (and filter) and hope it's not in bad shape as well. Don't look forward to replacing that one.

Back