Flashing OD light after new Tranny | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Flashing OD light after new Tranny

taylor7

Reaction score
City, State
California
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT V8 AWD
I had my transmission rebuilt at Aamco, that weekend I went up to the mountains and as I was going up an incline the OD light started to flash and then shifting became very rough...decelleration and acceleration.

I took it back to Aamco and they ran all their tests on the solenoids and everything checked out. They did find a code (P0741) that deals with the output shaft speed sensor signal, which led them to a tech bulletin from Ford 01-5-4 saying that the PCM (Power Control Module) computer would require reprograming.

For $80 Ford claimed to have reprogrammed the PCM, I say claim since Ford did not place a sticker in the truck stating that the PCM had been reprogramed. Also, went back to the mountains and the light started flashing again.

I took it back to Aamco...they ran all their tests. Everything checked out. They pointed the finger back at Ford claiming that the module had not been reprogrammed.

First question: How much does an actual reprogram cost for a PCM? $80 sounds more like clearing the codes.

Second question: Could there be something else wrong?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Reprogramming the PCM is a simple operation. The cost is fair due to the cost of the equipment and support that required to perform the repair. There should still be a code if the O/D light was flashing. I don't think Aamco is being perfectly honest with you.

Back