• Register Today It's free!

Flashing OD light

Mberry0614

Reaction score
City, State
Festus, Missouri
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Explorer EB 4.0 SOHC
99 explorer 4.0, 4x4 - 190xxx, My OD light has been flashing intermittently. It started off only doing it every once in awhile, but now it seems to be doing it more frequently. When the light is flashing, there is some hesitation on acceleration like the brakes are dragging, it tends to stall when shifting, and there is occasionally grinding noise when applying the brakes, Occasionally, the 4wd lights will also flash, and every once in awhile it sounds like something is binding up when turning the wheels. I checked fluid and it looks fine, doesn't look burnt or anything. I'm hoping maybe a fluid & filter change might do the trick? Maybe trans speed sensor or one of the differentials or hub? Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Get the codes read. You have a transmission related code in there.

Do not continue to drive.

Flashing od
Light means you are in limp mode for a transmission or speed sensor related issue
Limp mode
Means the trans is running at increased line pressures which will cause the Erratic and harsh shifts
Limp mode is designed to get you to the nearest repair shop

You need to get your transmission or manufacture specific codes read immediately

Continuing to drive it his way is a very very bad idea

It could be a simple fix especially with the fluid still being bright red and you did not mention having issues with 1st gear or reverse

Flashing 4wd light points to this being an issue with trans or control trac t case or both or just some sensors

Get the codes read. You have a transmission related code in there.
Do you know where to get the codes read besides a trans. shop? I'm assuming the trans. codes are different then the OBD2 codes, because there is not any OBD2 codes present

either get Forscan (do a search here) or a quality code reader. Very basic ones won’t pull trans codes. I have a craftsman one that will, so it doesn’t have to be super fancy. Just do your homework.

Forscan is the best though, and cheapest, by far

Agreed ^^^^

99 explorer 4.0 SOHC, 4x4 - My OD light has been flashing intermittently. It started off only doing it every once in awhile, but now it seems to be doing it more frequently. When the light is flashing, I cannot turn OD on or off, and it tends to hesitate when shifting. Occasionally, the 4wd lights will also flash, and every once in awhile it sounds like something is binding up when turning the wheels. I checked fluid and it looks fine, doesn't look burnt or anything. I'm hoping maybe a fluid & filter change might do the trick? Any ideas?
I should add it has 190xxx mi. Goes through all gears, and only has trouble shifting when light is flashing. It is not throwing any trans codes

Goona need have the codes
Of the od light is flashing then there is codes stored

I should add it has 190xxx mi. Goes through all gears, and only has trouble shifting when light is flashing. It is not throwing any trans codes
Most of the F57 torque converters are toast at that mileage.
Survey says, P0741 TCC....

I'm not to good at transmission work ..YET!

Back