Flashing OD Light

03Mach1

Reaction score
City, State
New Orleans, La
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 XLT
95 4.0 EB 2wd.

The OD light is flashing on and off. The tranny started acting up by shifting hard into first when slowing down to about 15mph or so. Last night my brother told me that it is now shifting out of first pretty hard too.

Auto Zone told him something about the 95's not having the equipment to read a code. Is there a way to read the code that is associated with the OD light flashing.

Also lets just say my brother decides to keep driving it the way it is, if the tranny were to break while he was driving would everything lock up or would it just start coasting until he stopped it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Don't continue driving it this way. It's in FMEM (limp mode), and the higher hydraulic pressure might do further damage. Your system uses EEC-IV, and is simple to read. You could jump the test port with a wire or a paper clip, and count the flashes of the check engine light to retrieve the codes. This link is in # 17 in my list of useful threads: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=160035

Mine did the samething and it was the Torque converter clutch, after I installed that it was fine. Also is it just the O/D off flashing? Is the check engine on also? If so maybe the TCC solenoid, mine did the same and thats what fixed it.

What is the TCC solenoid? my OD lite comes on too once in a great while...it shifts fine but won't go into 5th gear when it's blinking...after a key on/off cycle everything if fine again.

Dave

What is the TCC solenoid? my OD lite comes on too once in a great while...it shifts fine but won't go into 5th gear when it's blinking...after a key on/off cycle everything if fine again.

Dave

TCC solenoid=Torque Converter Clutch solenoid

So if I replaced the TCC, it should fix my problem, right?

Dave

So if I replaced the TCC, it should fix my problem, right?

Dave

Not necissarily like it was stated before Id get the codes before, the TCC solenoid isnt really a cheap part.

I just wanted to say thanks for all your help...I discovered a red drip at the front of my X...it was a tranny hose that was tearing at the tranny coolant lines...I replaced both hoses and topped off the tranny and since then, my OD lite has not come on again...I believe that low fluid level and a small pressure drop may have contributed to the lite coming on...I hope this info might be of some help to others.

:chug:

Dave

Back