• Register Today It's free!

flex plate bolt removal

mtwheelin

Reaction score
City, State
colorado springs
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 ranger
Ive got an 85 dodge d50 with the 2.6 liter engine and im trying to get the flex plate bolts out. What i want to know is how i would hold the crank so it will not spin as i loosen the bolts, they are very tight. And i do not have any numatic tools. Any help would be great.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ive got an 85 dodge d50 with the 2.6 liter engine and im trying to get the flex plate bolts out. What i want to know is how i would hold the crank so it will not spin as i loosen the bolts, they are very tight. And i do not have any numatic tools. Any help would be great.

put your harmonic balancer back on a bit and screw some bolts into two of the holes, use useless ones or strong ones cause they might bend and thread them in pretty far so you don't hurt threads. then have a buddy hold a huge screw driver or breaker bar across them as you wrench down on the bolts. works every time

ya bar or big screw driver works or any local parts store should have the tool for 10 bucks that is made for holding your plate best bet is to use your braker bar an give it one good rap with a hammer to free up the bolts

Is the harmonic balancer the crank pully? im pretty sure it is. If so there is only one hole in it, to bolt it to the crank. What are these other holes u are talking about.

Is the harmonic balancer the crank pully? im pretty sure it is. If so there is only one hole in it, to bolt it to the crank. What are these other holes u are talking about.

Umm its the big thing that slides onto the end of your crank shaft, your crank pully bolts to it, doesn't it have 4 bolt holes in it for the pully to mount to? or is that all one piece now? If its one piece i guess put it back on and hold on to the big crank bolt, it should be going the opposite way of the flex plate bolts. then at the end break the harmonic balancer bolt by holding one of the flex plate bolts and then break the flex plate bolt loose by using a hard jerking action with a big breaker bar

It is all one piece with one bolt in the middle. So if the harmonic balancer is right hand thread then the flex plate would be left hand?

It is all one piece with one bolt in the middle. So if the harmonic balancer is right hand thread then the flex plate would be left hand?

no.... the harmonic balancer is on the front and the flex plate is on the back making the bolts rotate in the opposite way kinda like if you're standing across from someone, thier left is your right and vis versa

So i got them out and in the process i broke 2 snap on sockets. So i had to haul the engine to a friends where i used his impact gun.

BUT, now i need advice on how to go about getting the stud that the oil filter screws on to out of the old block?

Back