• Register Today It's free!

flexplate/starter problem

Doomie17

Reaction score
City, State
harford county, md
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 limited, 93 xlt
well here the story i just got some 31's and i was going to this foot deep mudd hole and i creep into it at like 5mph and halfway in i hit the gas and the truck just stalled. so i checked the intake to see if there was alot of water in it and there wasnt so i tryed starting it and the starter would just click. so i got pulled out of the trail and on the side of the road replaced the starter. then the battery took a **** so got a new one. after that got it started up. and driving it back to my house everytime i took a turn the sterring wheel would vibrate viciously. so i got home checked turned the truck off and checked the p/s fluid it was fine. then i try to restart the truck it wouldnlt. pulled the starter off and found this

so i need some guidence is the flex plate shot or was it just a bad starter

Look through the starter opening at the flexplat and see if you can see any damage. I am not sure where the steering wheel vibration is coming from, but if you warped or broke your flexplate, it can cause the starter teeth to not line up. The only way to truly tell is to pull the tranny.

i was bout to pull it today but ended up breaking/fracturing my pinky cause i am retarded. and only hand tools suck. so i am just gonna rotate the crank and get a buddy to watch the flex plate to see if there is any damage. and im picking up a starter 2morrow since the one i just broke is under warrenty.

Back