Flopping sound when the temperature control is moved to hot. Told it is at least 4 hours to take apart. Any thoughts? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Flopping sound when the temperature control is moved to hot. Told it is at least 4 hours to take apart. Any thoughts?

Indy52

Reaction score
City, State
Speedway, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer
The hot/cold control makes a clunking sound when moved to hot and no hot air comes out. We have been told it is at least a 4 hour job to try to get to the attentuator that might be causing this. Anyone have a possible fix? Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had the same issue except mine was stuck on heat, and it was caused by the blend door actuator. Assuming that you have standard controls and not the automatic, dual-zone system, 4 hours is probably about right depending on skill level. I had to remove my center console along with other panels, and even then it was a bit difficult to get to. However, for the cost of the part, if you are mechanically inclined and patient, you will save a lot of money doing it yourself. The part is roughly $30 from Rock Auto depending on which manufacturer you choose.

I had the same issue except mine was stuck on heat, and it was caused by the blend door actuator. Assuming that you have standard controls and not the automatic, dual-zone system, 4 hours is probably about right depending on skill level. I had to remove my center console along with other panels, and even then it was a bit difficult to get to. However, for the cost of the part, if you are mechanically inclined and patient, you will save a lot of money doing it yourself. The part is roughly $30 from Rock Auto depending on which manufacturer you choose.
Thanks. That is encouraging.

2004 explorer or 2004 explorer sport/trac?
The bled doors are completely different on the Gen II vs Gen III trucks
We are currently in the 01-05 sport and sport trac forum, these are still Gen II trucks/dash.

4 hours is alot of time to access blend door actuator on a gen II, more like 30 minutes
Gen II (2001-2004 sport and sport trac) you do not have to remove center console, the bled door actuator is behind the glove box
In the Gen III trucks (02+ explorer) the bled door motor requires center console work.

2004 explorer or 2004 explorer sport/trac?
The bled doors are completely different on the Gen II vs Gen III trucks
We are currently in the 01-05 sport and sport trac forum, these are still Gen II trucks/dash.

4 hours is alot of time to access blend door actuator on a gen II, more like 30 minutes
Gen II (2001-2004 sport and sport trac) you do not have to remove center console, the bled door actuator is behind the glove box
In the Gen III trucks (02+ explorer) the bled door motor requires center console work.
Wow, thanks for pointing out the difference. I apologize for not seeing I was in the wrong forum and for any confusion I may have caused.

thats why we are here!! I have battled bled doors for many many years now
I can fix the gen II blend door issues in a number of ways

I was sad to see when the Gen III trucks came out (2002+ explorer) they still had blend door issues.....sheesh

good luck!

Back