How to: - Flushing Radiators With Pressure | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Flushing Radiators With Pressure

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
Prestone used to have a chemical flush kit with a hose insert for backflushing the system. I put this system on a couple of my trucks in the past and managed to clean out nasty crud even from relatively new vehicles. Its surprising what kind of crap is hiding in the cooling system on newer engines; no wonder a system will run so much better after a pressure flush.

I have not seen these on the shelf in some time. The flush chemical was put in and run for 15-20 minutes, then the flush was completed immediately; I suppose to keep from destroying the hoses and soldered joints. Lord knows you wouldn't want to melt down your heater (wet interiors really suck.)

The chemical was a slow acting version, and once diluted with water, was inconsequential. I used these when I lived in California, but I now live in Minnesota; the land where nothing is legal, so there might be a restriction on the kits here. I never again had cooling issues running in the deserts of southern Cal. I could really use the help here in the frosty land of NO!

JP

Antifreeze has water pump lubricants in it. Water does not. Use plain water at your expense.

Back