• Register Today It's free!

Flywheel

Vanquish502

Reaction score
City, State
Kitchener, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
91EB, 91EB, 92XLT
is there any possible way to reinforce a flywheel? I have a 91 and I've already blown apart the center of the flywheel like many others. i was wondering if it would be possible to weld a steel plate in there, drill the holes out again and get longer bolts?

http://www.alldatadiy.com/alldata/A.../56351048/34853741/34850750/42063452/93057214

Also, when you break the flywheel apart, has anyone ever had any of the bolts break? I don't really wanna replace a crankshaft.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Also I bought a flywheel from a 94' Explorer to replace my current one.

I sure hope no one tells me to go to the dealership and buy one of the newer, updated, stronger ones...they aren't $40 here. $230+tax...

dont weld anything to a flywheel ! they are balanced and adding material will throw them off and they can blow apart. I would just go to a local transmission shop and see if you can get a heavy duty flywheel.

You could try having it cryogenicly treated.

Cyrogenically treating it will make it stronger but I've never heard of anyone blowing apart a fly wheel. What are you doing to bust flywheels??

I've done it, and I don't even beat on my $hit. The 91-96 maybe 97 have 6 bolt flywheel and the later models have the 8 bolt.

I could live with a vibration...its not like im gonna make the plate totally of center or anything

Back