• Register Today It's free!

Fogged up windows

section8joe

Reaction score
City, State
youngstown ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 xls
I just bought my explorer and this may be a stupid question. I can't keep my windows from fogging up. i have the rear defogger on the the windshield defogger but i can't really keep the windows clear. The windshield is ok but the side windows are really always fogged up.
My old car was a vw gti and used to crank the heat up, while the ac was on and it would clear the windows up pretty fast. I guess by turning the ac on it creates some type of vacuum. I cant do this with the explorer. Can someone help me out.

Im sorry if this is a really stupid question.
joe

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

put the HEAT on to defrost your windows

i know that. They just don't seem to clear up.

Side windows are a pain in the a$$!

I put mine all the way up (highest fan setting) and wait awhile. It takes me 10 minutes to get to the highway plus another 2-3 minutes on the highway and only then it starts to clear up. It takes awhile.

Check to see that you're bringing in outside air and not recirculating interior air. Also, if the interior condensation is really bad, turning on the AC for awhile will clear it up. You should cycle the AC a few times during the winter anyway to keep mechanisms lubed up.

I've never really had any serious defogging issues with my 97 XLT. Any condensation build-up has always been easily handled with selector set on foot/defrost and low fan.

section8joe said:
I guess by turning the ac on it creates some type of vacuum.
joe

The AC doesn't create a vacuum. An air conditioner removes moisture from the air, and is why its used for defog.

Cracking the windows (open) a bit helps me out here in NY

There are anti fog wipes for glasses only a buck or 2. Ever thought about rubbing one of those wipes on the windows? They use to work good when i wore glasses.

I've tried the rain-x anti-fog and it never worked for me...

Have the same problem. Somethings gotta be weird on our Explorers. They always seem to fog up easily!

did'nt say rainex anti fog, talking about the ones made for eye glasses. I know those work.

Ventvisors. The smaller ones that go in the window channel look good and allow you to crack the rear windows open for ventilation. The first year I had the truck, I swore at the side windows almost nonstop. I have had them on for the past 8 years and have had NO fogging, and you don't get worse moisture than up here in oregon.

I also bypassed the wiring for the air conditioner clutch and put in a switch. Now, I can turn on the windshield defrost for some air movement without running the air conditioner unless I want it. Lots less gas used and the windshield still stays clean. It also allows me to have air conditioning in ALL positions, not just the ones Ford set.

Ed

Nothing Fogs up worse then Mazda Proteges...I used to have one and i'm talking the fog that would build up inside look liked snow you would get almost a thick fog on your windows...and 4get the defroster that just made you waste gas...did nothing to help i used to have to wipe it all down with a rag as i was driving...mind you this was an '00 not some old one

If your Explorer is equipped with factory air conditioning, going to the "defrost" setting should automatically turn on the air conditioner to help dry the air. The light doesn't come on, but it will still be running. Check to see that it is coming on (watch the air conditioner pulley and see that the clutch engages). If it does, then you may have a very small leak from your heater core, causing the excess moisture in the air. Hope this helps.

yup, the explorer's suck for window frosting, i have mine in a garage drying out and i bet cha any money that the instant i drive it outside they will fog up, ITS TERRIBLE. i have plastic keeping the cold air in the very very back and my middle windows still fog ><

Just a theory but possibly you have a leak some where. My rear driver side window had a bad seal do to faulty butal, this caused it to leak in-turn led to foggy windows. Also my rear hach glass weather stripping took a poo and it leaked a little when it rained. After I fixed these problems I haven't had any problems.

You can try cleaning the windows. I mean really cleaning them. You should use products specifically for cleaning auto windows. Very clean windows do not fog up as bas as dirty ones. They get dirty pretty easy.

unclemeat said:
You can try cleaning the windows. I mean really cleaning them. You should use products specifically for cleaning auto windows. Very clean windows do not fog up as bas as dirty ones. They get dirty pretty easy.

May sound simple but I agree. My driver side window was fogging up and getting a film on it (from what I have no idea). I cleaned it and it does not fog as much anymore. However I think that regular Windex or Glass plus does the trick - if you have after market tinted windows use a non-ammonia based cleaner (home depot carries one by DEP - that's what I use).

Try driving around when it's cold with 4 people in the car and everyone is talking!

:D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Another thing that causes windows to fog up is wet floor mats as the water starts to evaporate, or a recirc. door that is not working.

Back