• Register Today It's free!

foot prints ?

bluelion

Reaction score
City, State
Spring, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 EX Limited
got the call from the dealership this morning saying that the part for my 'A' pillar came in. so i went into the dealership today to have them fix it...i also mentioned to them about my sirius satellite losing signal A LOT! i even tried the same station on my wifes focus side by side in the driveway, and the explorer was dropping the signal on and off and then completely lost signal...so at the dealership they had "their radio guy" there today. he said he's only there monday, wednesday and fridays, from 11am-2pm... which leads me to believe that it's a contractor/3rd party.... come to find out that i need a new antenna, the part had to be ordered, it should be in early next week...... here comes the fun part..

as i'm walking to the truck, i hit the remote to open the hatch so i can put the stroller back there. and i noticed FOOT PRINTS on my back bumper!! FOOT PRINTS ! i finished getting settled into the vehicle and drove right back into the service line. i showed the service tech the foot prints and he was not happy to see that. he immediately took a picture with his phone. he said he would talk to the manager and get to the bottom of it..... as i was pulling out, i did notice he went directly to the manager and started showing him the pictures.....

well, as i was driving home i got to thinking.....what if he dented my bumper or something....so i checked it out when i got home and i although there were no noticeable dents...i did notice that the rear bumper didn't seem to align with the bottom black plastic trim and rear quarter panel on the driver's side....i tried to push it back in, thinking it a clip may have come loose or something.....nope. so i called the service tech back and explained it to him...he said he'd look at it next week when i take it in for the antenna....i swear, if i continue to have 'a' pillar issues, i will definitely look into lemon law or something. even if the dealership agrees to let me trade it in with zero negative equity, i'd get rid of it.....[/rant]

here are the pics. (i'm glad my truck was actually dirty so i was able to see foot prints.)

pics of the foot prints
2932541020053287632S600x600Q85.jpg

2706305320053287632S600x600Q85.jpg

rear bumper meets quarter panel
2955778720053287632S600x600Q85.jpg

2833805260053287632S600x600Q85.jpg

rear bumper meets black plastic bottom trim
2770407970053287632S600x600Q85.jpg

and here is the passenger side for reference...
2841737160053287632S600x600Q85.jpg

2993533300053287632S600x600Q85.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

oops....didn't mean to post this in the mft section, i meant to post it in the stock section....can a mod please move it?

and for the record.....it looks like they replaced the two outside A pillars per the tsb # 12-1-11. i don't see anything on the receipt about the rubber gaskets or anything. i REALLY do hope this fixes the rattle/buzz/wind noise.

So bluelion, which dealer worked on your car? Being in your neck of the woods, I'm interested to know which dealers offer good service.

wow, so central states step on bumpers where as west coast states don't mount and secure seatbelt anchors......wonder what the east does.

Sorry, but....wtf?? Its a BUMPER! Its meant to be stepped on! I'm sure they stepped on it to check the antenna. I really don't see the problem.

So bluelion, which dealer worked on your car? Being in your neck of the woods, I'm interested to know which dealers offer good service.

lone star ford. the service writer that worked with me is actually really good, Michael Turner. but i believe this incident was cause by a 3rd party company.

Sorry, but....wtf?? Its a BUMPER! Its meant to be stepped on! I'm sure they stepped on it to check the antenna. I really don't see the problem.

exactly, it's a BUMPER (a painted bumper at that). it's not a STEP like on a bed of a truck. i don't know of any bumper that is meant to be stepped on. nor do i know of any rear bumper that is meant to get scratched up either, hence the reason they sell bumper protectors.

I'm with you bluelion, I'd be totally PO'd if anybody stepped on my bumper like that, especially with a car so filthy (lol! Mine is worse, gotta wash my baby...), talk about scratches. If it were a crappy chrome bumper, there wouldn't be a problem, but painted is another story.

If I don't step on my painted bumper, why should the dealership be allowed? I agree with bluelion, I would be upset as well.

lone star ford. the service writer that worked with me is actually really good, Michael Turner. but i believe this incident was cause by a 3rd party company.

exactly, it's a BUMPER (a painted bumper at that). it's not a STEP like on a bed of a truck. i don't know of any bumper that is meant to be stepped on. nor do i know of any rear bumper that is meant to get scratched up either, hence the reason they sell bumper protectors.

Try stepping up on the rear tire ..... That's what I do when I wash mine. It's painted ....... Think you might scuff it? What idiots! :mad:

I agree with suzook that they likely used the bumper to stand on while checking out the antenna. Not a method that I would agree with but probably the easiest way to get at the antenna. At the very least they could have put a cover over the bumper. As for the misalignment, are you sure that perhaps it wasn't always like this and that you just noticed it because of your focusing on the area?

Peter

Not a method that I would agree with but probably the easiest way to get at the antenna.

Peter

Ok... so if I want them to check out the A-pillar rattle were the windshield meets the roof, it should be ok for them to sit on the hood, it is the easiest wat to get to that area, right? :D

Oh I'm positive they stepped on it to access the antenna..that's not the question....I still wouldn't step in a painted bumper even with a cover because there isn't much vertical support...a bumper is made to withstand a bump from behind, not from up top....and no, the misalignment wasn't there before...I'm pretty observant when I was my truck for chips, scratches, door dings. And I would've noticed that

Someone did a minor "hit and run" on my wife's 2011 Edge. One side of the bumper was not attached where the bumper meets the quarter panel, but there was little to no paint damage. I was able to "snap" the bumper back in place good as new. Looking at that picture, it looks like one of the clips in the middle may have popped out and needs to be snapped back in.

I tried to push it back in also, in hope that it was just a clip.....maybe ill try again tonight.

Oh I'm positive they stepped on it to access the antenna..that's not the question....I still wouldn't step in a painted bumper even with a cover because there isn't much vertical support...a bumper is made to withstand a bump from behind, not from up top....and no, the misalignment wasn't there before...I'm pretty observant when I was my truck for chips, scratches, door dings. And I would've noticed that
Okay, I just went out and stood on my bumper. I had to use a step ladder to get onto it and stood on the bumper with both feet. It didn't budge. I saw and felt no movement what-so-ever and I weigh 230 lbs. (gravity sucks);)
My '09 Highlander had a similar bumper and I regularly stood on it to wash the back end of the roof. It was easier to get onto because the rear deflector had a gap between it and the roof and I could hoist myself up by using it.

Peter

Okay, I just went out and stood on my bumper. I had to use a step ladder to get onto it and stood on the bumper with both feet. It didn't budge. I saw and felt no movement what-so-ever and I weigh 230 lbs. (gravity sucks);)
My '09 Highlander had a similar bumper and I regularly stood on it to wash the back end of the roof. It was easier to get onto because the rear deflector had a gap between it and the roof and I could hoist myself up by using it.

Peter

So what is your point??? And what does an '09 Highlander have to do with Bluelion's concern/issue???

So what is your point??? And what does an '09 Highlander have to do with Bluelion's concern/issue???
If you looked at my reply you would see that I was talking about his comment that the bumper doesn't have much verticle support and that it was made for horizontal impact. I simply stated that it would support at least 230 lbs of verticle weight without any problem and that the Highlander also could support that weight. As such, it is very doubtful that someone standing on the bumper would cause the misalignment problem with the panels he is concerned about. Simple as that. I guess I could have spelled that out more.

Peter

If you looked at my reply you would see that I was talking about his comment that the bumper doesn't have much verticle support and that it was made for horizontal impact. I simply stated that it would support at least 230 lbs of verticle weight without any problem and that the Highlander also could support that weight. As such, it is very doubtful that someone standing on the bumper would cause the misalignment problem with the panels he is concerned about. Simple as that. I guess I could have spelled that out more.

Peter

So I guess he must be crazy when he states that the misalignment wasn't there prior to him taking in his vehicle? It's also possible that the guy servicing his vehicle had a fatter ass and weighed more than your 230 lbs...

Or he could of applied more pressure when standing on it....you did say that you had to use a step ladder to get on....what if this Guy DIDNT use a step ladder, therefore, pushing down on the bumper to help get him up there.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Or he could of applied more pressure when standing on it....you did say that you had to use a step ladder to get on....what if this Guy DIDNT use a step ladder, therefore, pushing down on the bumper to help get him up there.
I guess it is possible bluelion. All I know from what I did this morning is that there was no movement whatsoever when I stood on it after getting off the ladder. I did not, however, stand right on the lip. The antenna is in an awkward place for servicing. I'm guessing that even in using a step ladder you would have to lean suffiiciently inward that someone would have to hold the ladder. In any case, I think you have a reason to be upset given the circumstances. I hope that you are able to get it resolved without further problems. If it were mine, I think I'd try and be there when they repair the problem to see how they handle it. Good luck.

Peter

Back