for those of you with auto-dim r-view... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

for those of you with auto-dim r-view...

phiple28

Reaction score
City, State
Chicago, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 XLT
Hello everyone, I admit this might not be the best topic for this board, but here goes.

So I bought a factory electrochromic r-view mirror w/auto headlight function for $30. I wasn't sure if I could get it to work or not, but it was cheap... so what the hell? Anyway, I have an XLT without this option. I was wondering what all is involved in installing this. Do I need a special wiring harness? or is there some kind of connection in the overhead console? I have a Haynes manual... unfortunately it is only mentioned in the chassis wiring diagrams which doesn't really help out much. I guess I could figure it out from those diagrams, but it'll take me all year.

So if anyone's tried this or happen to know what all might be involved... please let me know. Otherwise, I might be willing to sell it.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

noticed your from chicago, check out noiec.com, the northern illinois explorer club, were meeting this sunday at 10am in the busse woods forest preserve

Hey jas84,

Thanks for the invite... unfortunately I'm in AR until the 3rd of Sept. But keep me posted!!! I don't have much mods, but would love to see other people's.

maybe you are in luck after all. I have a 94 limited with this option. I had some terrible light issues a few months ago. my headlamps kept flickering on and off shortly after I purchased a cheap aftermarket set of foggers to replace my factory ones. Anyway it turned out that the headlamp switch was fried, so I bought a new one. This mirror requires a different switch that is just like the stock one, but has a second harness on the rear for this feature. It cost me in the neighborhood of $30. Anyway, I had the same problem a couple months later because I heard that several ford switches go bad so I figured I was an unlucky one and continued to run my foggers off of the stock wiring. Well a couple months later I thought I fried the same switch so I got another one only to find out that it was the hi low switch in the blinker stick that I fried out this time. Well I was SOL on the switch since you cannot return electrical parts to the store. So it is brand new and has all of the parts you will need, You will need to run wires to the mirror from existing light switch and rig up some sort of wiring harness or solder wires to the switch and make quick disconnects if desired. I suppose if you want to buy this switch from me I will cut my losses, and even diagram which color wires goes where on the switch to make this work for you.

I think this will do it for ya, lemme know if I can help, I will be ready to cause it will help me cut my losses
Dan

Dannyboy,

Hey, that's great news. I'll take you up on the switch and a breif diagram. Is there a way for your switch to work in a '99 though? I thought you had a '94 which has the pullout switch... either way I could probably make it work... you know... a little duct tape goes a long way. If you can't DUCK it... F$@# it!

E-mail me a price and addy,

Phil

before we get overly excited let me look at my old man's 2000 XLT and we shall decide if we can change the switches. If not i am still SOL but it is worth a shot. I have to look to see if the light plugs in the same way as mine.

Hey sounds good. Even if it doesn't work, I'd still be interested in your diagram... maybe if you've got a digital camera or if there's not too many wires you wouldn't mind e-mailing them to me???

Thanks,
Phil

well I forgot one important thing, the actual knob does not come with the switch so you would have to come up with one of those. For what it is worth, you should buy a new knob for your year for like 25 bux and then test the 3 or four wires in your garage to see what is the combonation.
There are 2 functions, the dimming mirror can be tested with a strong flahlight or you can set it to be dim always and the auto lights should come one in your garage if it is dark enough.

Good luck lemme know when you get these parts and I will try to help more

Dannyboy,

Hey thanks for your help. It will be some time before I actually attempt to install this thing. It shouldn't be too tough (knock on wood). But I will let you know if I come across any more questions or prob's.

did you guys ever figure this out?

Well I there is a different switch necessary. I have one to fit a first generation. Then there is a harness that plugs into the rear of this switch. I dont know if he bought a new switch for his year but it shouldn't be too hard. The only problem was that I have the pull switch and his has the turn style.

Still have a switch if anyone ever picks up a mirror

I have just installed the same mirrior on my 99 XLT and would say that u need to go to a salvage yard and get the harness off of one that has the mirrior or had the mirrior. it is a simple install that took me an hour to do in my driveway. the harness is coneccted und the dash and is the hardest part of the install. it runs up the drivers piller and under the headliner it powers both visor lights, the compass and your new mirrior.

Back