For those who have GM tow hooks

nak4af

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Bellevue, Nebraska
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer Sport
When I bought my front gears, the salvage yard threw in a set of GM tow hooks. I just went to install them but I found out it wouldn't be as easy as I thought. It seems that the front bumper will be in the way. Will I have to make some notches for these to work properly? I can see a good spot to put them, just not sure if I want to cut my bumper to get them on. Had I known this before powder coating my bumper, I would of put them on beforehand!!!

Oh well, better late than never. So, does anyone have pics or a prior post they can refer me to? Doing a search doesn't give much technical info.

Thanks for the help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does anyone know someone ho has put them on. PLEASE!!

I know Ryan Penner has them (I think he's a little bit busy today, getting married and all LOL), and I'm sure a few other people...I wish I could help you out more, but I'm actually interested in how to mount them as well. If anyone has some pictures of the install and a writeup, I'd like to see it as well...

I know someone has done it because they posted it before with pics. Thye had to cut in the plastic part under the bumper and drill one more hole for each tow hook, but that was it. This guy said how to do it on his 1993. Its about half way down.

I did mine. I'm guessing you mean drilling the air dam, not the actual bumper, right? I did have to "rotozip" my air dam to make access holes. I used tow hooks from a 92 F-250 ,so I'm not sure about yours. Do a search for free mods and look for my post. Sorry I don't have pics, but there are some on here.Try a search for tow hooks.

Tim

thanks guys!

This has given me the idea. I was thinking I had to place them further up front, which would be angled closer to the bumper. I know the holes you are speaking of! Now with a little bit of insite, it will be a peice of cake!

Thanks again!

Back