ford 4.0 trans failure? AA wants comments | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

ford 4.0 trans failure? AA wants comments

ratios for the 700-R4:
1st: 3.06
2nd: 1.8
3rd: 1
4th: .70

Depends on what GM transmissions you're talking about, my '76 Chevelle had a TH-350 in it and it lasted 17 years and 140,000 before I burned it up from no fluid. My parents POS 84 Delta 88, had a TH-200C and it went through 3 in 110,000 miles.
My '86 Pontiac has 135,000 on it's original unrebuilt POS TH-125 3 speed.

Another option for solid autos, Chrysler's 3 speed 904 or 727 Torqueflights. My dad's 87 Dakota 4x4 has 190,000 on it with the original 998(904 with lockup)

Just some ideas

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

AOD sounds good- I've gone through 3 A4LD's in only 136K mi. Don't forget about us 2 wd guys too.
PLEASE.....

my tranny guy basically said that teh A4LD was the same exact transmission that was in the Pinto, but with an overdrive bolted on... oh.. and the cat. converter is about an inch away from the tranny.

A4LD slush box here, rebuilt at a cost of $3600 CAN. I'm not going to waste my time on the old powertrain :shoot: anymore. It's time to put some real power under the hood. 5.0L H.O. AOD/4R70W here I come.....weeeeeeeee feel the power..........:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Just to speak for a friend. jim hand on the forum ( doesn't post much), has had tthe A4LD on his '93 fail him 5 times now. He is going on number 6. It is ridiculous.

Man O' man

There is much proof by now there is a lot of unsatisifed a4ld owners. I am proud to be one, as I am at number five (5) in 12 months. You definitly have a customer here! Thanks guys. Seth

Well I must be the only luck a4ld owner out there. I have put almost 80k on the trans and have no problem yet. But I can feel the end is near. It takes awhile for it to shift into drive and the shifts are getting softer. I would like to see a AOD or some kinda FORD trans under my truck. Make an adapter for the AOD to bolt to the 4.0 then make an adapter for the AOD to bolt to the stock transfercase. I think that would be a wonderful idea!!

Eric

P.S. I am knocking on wood as I type as for fear my trans will die on the way to work.

Looks about mine's about to go. It slipped on the way home today. Say it ain't so.........she's been so reliable otherwise.

Well I'm on my 5th A4LD it seem to poop out as soon as it goes out of warrenty and its going again its just a POS! An adapter for the 4.0 to AOD would be awesome Robbie

Alternate tranny

Hey Vic,

Just wanted to let you know you and Scott helped me piece together the parts for my T-5 Tranny swap last year and it's still going strong and is way more bomber than the Mazda POS. I can't imagine it would not hold up well even with a V-8 conversion. Tons of guys I know use theses things in their Mustangs at the track with up to 450 HP and I hear of almost no failures.

My conversion was really quite easy except for fabricating mounting points for the linkage of the manual t-case I switched to at the same to dump the electronic crap that broke constantly. Any one who wants the parts list can do the search on here as I posted it several times before or email me.

Thanks again to AA, Vic, and Scott. Vic why don't you guys just offer the parts you sold me as a kit, they were just all bolt in?

Brian

Don't forget about us Ranger guys! I'd love to see a NV3500 swap. My mazda 5-spd. is holding on but it's on the way out. What kind of timeline are we talking?

Yep my tranny's gone. Please help me AA!

5R55E transplant from HD trucks?

It was my understanding that the 5 speed AOD 5R55E transmission was a heavy duty model borrowed from some of Ford's beefier trucks. Any input on this?

I tow a fairly light load and the shift points run counter to good shifting sense but, overall, I think the tranny is a good one. The defeatable OD button on the stalk is an indispensable item.

The AOD and the 5R55E are different trannies altogether.

Sing me up

My X just broke 102,000 and the tranny isOK for now.
I'd love to buy an adapter and throw in an AOD when mine does fail!

BUILD IT AND THEY WILL COME!!!! :eek:

Adapter

In my opinion there would be a lot bigger market for a tranny adaptor than a front locker. Not that the front locker isn't a good idea, just not every one needs one. Everyone with the auto WILL eventually have to have the transmission rebuilt/replaced. I had my rebuilt at 70,000. By the time I'm due again I'd rather pay a little more $$$$ than have another worthless one put in. Any Idea on why they die so early?Do they overheat? Count me in if an adapter is made. We should really try and push to have these made.

:mad: Still no updates from AA, hmmmm.... no one cares i think its time to push the :exp: off a cliff and buy a XJ

I would buy the adapter to replace this P.O.S.

I've been in contact with Vic. They are interested in helping us out, but they have a couple big projects ahead of us in their lineup. This isn't going to be an overnight deal. Vic was feeling out the market, they have seen that there is a great interest in these products and I'm sure they will be building something for us in the future.

Just hold tight... Vic said he will be sending photos and specs to us FIRST so we can give them our input before they have a finalized product. Stay tuned...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Good to hear Rick! Hopefully what we've heard this time comes true! Should AA go through with this, I think it could be a huge seller! Buy a conversion kit, and a nice AOD or whatever they'd convert to, and I think when peoples trannys poop, bingo! Time for a tough new tranny!
Pete

Back