• Register Today It's free!

Ford AUS goes 6speed

OZexplore

Reaction score
City, State
coffs harbour n.s.w. Australia
Year, Model & Trim Level
98xlt
ford australia has just gone for 6 speed auto and manual in some of there upper level models of the ford territory(suv),XR6 turbo & XR8 sedans and utes

www.ford.com.au

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What is the name of the new 6 speed automatic transmission? Which transmission was it based on (A4LD 4 speed, 5R55E 5 speed, etc.)? If Ford used something completely new, it would cost them a fortune. They usually base new designs on previous models, then add improved features over the years. What engines are used with these transmissions? I think that the auto manufacturers should concentrate on the continuously variable transmissions (CVTs). They have superior shifting characteristics, are better on gasoline, and don't strain the engine as much, since the shift occurs as the RPMs increase. A regular transmission has to rev high in order to change into the next gear, then when it is finally in gear, the RPMs will lower again.

6 speed

The new 6 speed auto transmission is not locally made in australia but is made in Germany. Must be based on some other german transmission allready in production.

The Explorer got the 6 speed for '06 in the V8 models.

Truck Trend lists it as "ZF 6 Speed Auto". And is made in Germany.

OZexplore said:
ford australia has just gone for 6 speed auto and manual in some of there upper level models of the ford territory(suv),XR6 turbo & XR8 sedans and utes

www.ford.com.au

You sure about the manual? I couldn't find anything talking about a manual trans.

it is a ZF auto from germany its used in some jags,audis,etc at the moment i cant find where i read about

auto only in the territory 4.0l straight 6 255 hp
auto & manual in the sedans with 4.0L straight 6,4.0L turbo 330 hp
5.4 v8 dohc with upto 390hp

The 6 speed Manuel or the 4-speed auto is standard on all XR models and the ZF-6 speed auto is a cost option; my dad has just brought a BF XR sedan.

The auto has a really low first gear to launch better and smoother gear shifts. The 5th and 6th gears are actually overdrive, less then 1 to 1. I know cause I clicked on the link on the first post.

Aussie Explorer said:
The 6 speed Manuel or the 4-speed auto is standard on all XR models and the ZF-6 speed auto is a cost option; my dad has just brought a BF XR sedan.

he bought an xr 6 not the turbo the turbo & v8 6 speeds are standard

I was looking at the Ford Falcon they sell over there. Let's see:

350 HP 5.4L 4Valve V8 with gobbs and gobbs of torque mated to a ZF 6-speed manual transmission in a car the size of a taurus, except much better looking. All for about 30,000 in equivalent US dollars

If Ford wanted to fix their woes, they should start selling cars like that around here :rolleyes:

yosh18981898 said:

350 HP 5.4L 4Valve V8 with gobbs and gobbs of torque mated to a ZF 6-speed manual transmission in a car the size of a taurus, except much better looking. All for about 30,000 in equivalent US dollars

If Ford wanted to fix their woes, they should start selling cars like that around here :rolleyes:

I second that.

yosh18981898 said:

its bigger than a taurus seat 4 adults in comfort, bigger than a toyota camry/mitsubishi(we call them magna you call them dimantina i think 3.5 litre front wheel drive)similar but larger in outside dimensions to pontiac GTO (also made in australia) if sold in usa it would probably a bit cheaper than GTO
also they are rear wheel drive

Why the #### can't we have them here???? :confused: :confused:

I think the closest thing we can get here is a Volvo S60 with turbo charged 5 cylinder pumping out 311 horses through a six speed and all wheel drive

Back