sandalf

Reaction score
City, State
Manchester United Kingdom
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 V6 Auto
hi Guys

I have a 97 Ford Explorer

Was driving down the motorway recently quite fast with a week old slow oil leek, that I'd topped up prior to my journey - done about 100 miles when accelerator started to lose its response and over about a minute car lost all power, cut out and I had to drift to hard shoulder.

RAC said noisy, could hear knocking, car failed to start, he reckoned low oil pressure although oil gauge midway (normal) then he diagnosed oil pump gone - RAC moved to local garage who agrees with knocking but doesn't know explorers + not keen to look, quoted about £1600 to fix - mentioned shell bearings are likely side effect.

Not had a 2nd opinion yet as can't seem to find anyone who knows much about them

Does anyone know if this fault can be diagnosed more accurately from sump access?

Does anyone know if it is the oil pump is there likely to be any associated damage?

Any suggestions very welcome

thankyou in anticipation

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sorry for your luck. did you check the oil level? was there some on the dip stick. if you lost all ur oil you could have spun a bearing and your best bet is trying to find a used engine. pull the drain plug on the oil pan and see what comes out. if you fid metal in the pan its bad news. if you spun a bearings the whole engine gots to come out. good luck

welcome

HI there thank you for your help on my explorer RAC is Royal Automobile Club in the UK they are our roadside mechanics. best wishes. sharon

Hi there not sure where oil is leaking - but thank you for the tip will certainly get my mechanic to check it and have a look at your list of sites recommended. best wishes.

Back